Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hand held GPS

Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buckwild41
Stick with Garmin and you will be fine.
yup
Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 AM
JW
Super Moderator

+10 on Garmin!

Even my dogs use one!

JW
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

I really like my garmin ( Oregon 450 t ) but agree with
The last post that a good compass should always be
Carried to use with the GPS and for times when the
GPS runs out of battery etc.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default funny

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
This is darn right funny.. I am not saying that Garmin is not any good though. I do like my DeLorme Earthmate better than a Garmin though. Even our law enforcement folks rely on DeLorme..
Phil, you are correct with Delome being a good unit. Used plenty of them since way back in PN20 days. However regarding "base" models for the money Garmin offers a pretty good product. If interested in higher models I would agree a good look at both Garmin and Delorme would be in order.

After numerous phone conversations w Delorme I can tell you their customer service can not be beat.. their maps and software top all others. However regarding signal lock, user friendly buttons/functions and battery life, Garmin.

To each his own but for what its worth, after numerous garmins, several Delormes including the 80 I prefer Garmin.

PS. Ref the COPS using them. Been one for 28 yrs and two of the guys at works have Delormes for sale looking at Garmins.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

While there is no doubt not all law enforcement uses them up here however the majority of them do use DeLorme.Perhaps it is our terrain and or location?? It does take some time to get locked onto the satalites though.. But, that does not really matter an awful lot as long as the user likes what they have and understands it.

There is no doubt that Garmin has some great models out there as well. I tried a Magellan once and that was really about it. That one at that time was a real headache.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Roger That!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Spike

I have the Garmin Oregon. On sale, new for $200 plus the $100 for the maps. It's simple enough. However, check for battery use. Not the happiest w/ mine.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Garmin Montana and love it. Before that I had the Etrek ( sp ?). Also use a Garmin on my bass boat!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Spike

I use a Dakota 20 for fishing and hunting. Really nice to find your way back to the truck in the dark after coyote hunting all day. Really easy to get turn around after the sun go down.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Glad I saw this post I finally got permission from the boss, I get to make tow big purchase from my hunting stuff. I have decided on a GPS and a range finder. There some good info you guys have posted thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.