HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Apps? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/378996-apps.html)

mace1700 02-12-2013 06:56 PM

Apps?

I don't think this is in the right forum so excuse me if i:poke:t's wrong.

Anyways I just want to know if anyone else has ever used a phone application to boost hunting success. Personally I've used google maps for both safety reasons and for marking stand locations. Also, me and my father text each other before going up and down a tree stand. For example:
Me: "going up"
"up"
"going down"
"down"

Now if I didn't confirm I was in the desired location he would have known something was wrong. Luckily neither of us have had a problem with this.

Also as far as calls go I use "iHunt Calls and Sounds". This is much better than any e-caller I've owned in the past. There's 32 animals I believe and 500 or so sounds. There's everything from deer and turkey to zebra and pheasant with no white Lise or static. I personally use it mostly for coyotes.

So let's see how you phone helps you hunt!

Tundra10 02-12-2013 10:42 PM

Opinion ( MINE) Apps are not applicable while hunting.

I still use a compass , no cell phone , no gps .

If you do use tech well wishes.

bighorns35 02-13-2013 06:00 AM

mossy oak scoutlook. excellent for topo maps,solunar tables, weather. ect.

Triordanchary 03-02-2013 09:03 PM

I don't think there are apps but I think it's not a good idea to use phones during hunting. :)

Valentine 03-03-2013 01:46 AM

Too much dependency on technology

What happens when the batteries go dead.

Good thing I got in all those solo hunts, alone, no cell phone, no gps, no contact, no backup, climbing trees alone, no one to send messages, no one to email, dragging a deer out alone.

Guess modern technology means you get a day in the woods if.....
if you have someone whose waiting for an immediate message, so they can rescue you .

skb2706 03-04-2013 05:52 PM

One of the many reasons I hunt is to get away from the electronic leash. Is there a "leave me the hxll alone" app?

Deepsouthdeerjunky 03-22-2013 08:49 PM

Even though using a cell phone app clearly makes you less of hunter than those who do not i do still have some that help me in my short comings... (that was sarcasm).
1)the whitetail freak app is great for areal photos, and marking stand locations/ property boundries/cameras/ anything. But like was stated above, google earth works just as well.
2) also, a cheap little flashlight app has been helpful in some instances... it sure is nice to have something handy while packing up after dark if you didnt bring a flashlight or the batteries have recently died.

Tundra10 03-22-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by skb2706 (Post 4040436)
Is there a "leave me the hxll alone" app?

Yes and it's free, leave it at home. or take it and don't use it unless EMRErgency.

Valentine 03-24-2013 03:07 AM

Seems a Lot of the younger people...

are spending more time with the cell phones and electronics than they are with old time hunting. If a satellite ever failed, I wonder how many "hunters" would be in the woods.

Deepsouthdeerjunky 03-24-2013 11:39 AM

This guy asked a simple question. Helpful hunting related apps or those that may be useful while hunting. Remarks about how carrying a cell phone into the woods with you makes you less of a hunter are not necessary. Im sure theres another thread for that somewhere else.