Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Apps?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Spike

Default Apps?

I don't think this is in the right forum so excuse me if it's wrong.

Anyways I just want to know if anyone else has ever used a phone application to boost hunting success. Personally I've used google maps for both safety reasons and for marking stand locations. Also, me and my father text each other before going up and down a tree stand. For example:
Me: "going up"
"up"
"going down"
"down"

Now if I didn't confirm I was in the desired location he would have known something was wrong. Luckily neither of us have had a problem with this.

Also as far as calls go I use "iHunt Calls and Sounds". This is much better than any e-caller I've owned in the past. There's 32 animals I believe and 500 or so sounds. There's everything from deer and turkey to zebra and pheasant with no white Lise or static. I personally use it mostly for coyotes.

So let's see how you phone helps you hunt!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Opinion ( MINE) Apps are not applicable while hunting.

I still use a compass , no cell phone , no gps .

If you do use tech well wishes.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

mossy oak scoutlook. excellent for topo maps,solunar tables, weather. ect.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Spike

I don't think there are apps but I think it's not a good idea to use phones during hunting.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too much dependency on technology

What happens when the batteries go dead.

Good thing I got in all those solo hunts, alone, no cell phone, no gps, no contact, no backup, climbing trees alone, no one to send messages, no one to email, dragging a deer out alone.

Guess modern technology means you get a day in the woods if.....
if you have someone whose waiting for an immediate message, so they can rescue you .
Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the many reasons I hunt is to get away from the electronic leash. Is there a "leave me the hxll alone" app?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Even though using a cell phone app clearly makes you less of hunter than those who do not i do still have some that help me in my short comings... (that was sarcasm).
1)the whitetail freak app is great for areal photos, and marking stand locations/ property boundries/cameras/ anything. But like was stated above, google earth works just as well.
2) also, a cheap little flashlight app has been helpful in some instances... it sure is nice to have something handy while packing up after dark if you didnt bring a flashlight or the batteries have recently died.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
Is there a "leave me the hxll alone" app?
Yes and it's free, leave it at home. or take it and don't use it unless EMRErgency.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Seems a Lot of the younger people...

are spending more time with the cell phones and electronics than they are with old time hunting. If a satellite ever failed, I wonder how many "hunters" would be in the woods.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

This guy asked a simple question. Helpful hunting related apps or those that may be useful while hunting. Remarks about how carrying a cell phone into the woods with you makes you less of a hunter are not necessary. Im sure theres another thread for that somewhere else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.