Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS choices are baffling

Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Spike

Default GPS choices are baffling

Howdy all,

I've been lookin at gettin a GPS for hunting and hiking for quite a while now. I can't seem to commit to one because there are SO MANY choices out there! With the barometric altimeters and electronic compasses, who knows if you actually need all this stuff? Anyone have experience with a simple, fair-priced, reliable unit for someone starting out? Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Decide what features you NEED then pick a Garmin that fills those needs.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Fork Horn

You know an Apple Iphone can do all that. Don't know about signal issues though.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 AM
Spike

You know an Apple Iphone can do all that.
Yep. I need something that gets it's signal from satellite. There's no cell signal at my house, much less the mountains surrounding us.

Decide what features you NEED then pick a Garmin that fills those needs
I suppose I'd have to play around with a few to figure out what I NEED... being that I've never had one
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Google and then read on line. I own several GPS units. With my research way back when I went with Garmin and was never disapointed. I even run GPS tracking collars on my bird dogs.

Things I have found I needed.
Capable of increasing memory or adding maps using a SD Micro chip. Most units use these now but back then they did not. I was limited on what maps I could use or download myself.
I bought maps from Garmin of tha areas I hunt. I have a 100 K topo to which can see all of USA and then bought Regional 24K maps as it is in better detail of the main areas I hunt.
I use my GPS to find my deer stands.
I run a GPS on my duck boat. Most helpfull in dense fog as I can find my duck hunting islands by following my previous track and or using the Go To function.
And I run A GPS in my truck. Helps me find anything from an address to maybe a shopping center if I am on the road. I also use it as my speedometer as it has big digital numbers easily seen and far more accurate than my needle type speedometer.

One GPS you might really like is the Garmin Rino - that has a 5 watt radio - you can get instant weather updates no matter what part of the country you are in let alone talk to a buddy - the GPS map and if you have a pair, you and your buddy can see where each of you are on the GPS map. The higher end models will allow a SD Micro card.

JW
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Spike

One GPS you might really like is the Garmin Rino - that has a 5 watt radio -
My buddy has one of the coveted 530 hcx models, and he likes it a lot. Not sure if I need the radio function or not. I'm assuming you can communicate between a rino radio and a regular walky-talky type? Seems like as long as they're on the same freq and within range it would work.

Things I have found I needed.
Capable of increasing memory or adding maps using a SD Micro chip.
I'm thinkin even if I don't use this option initially, it might be nice to have if I decide I want to add a map or extra memory.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shredder4286
My buddy has one of the coveted 530 hcx models, and he likes it a lot. Not sure if I need the radio function or not. I'm assuming you can communicate between a rino radio and a regular walky-talky type? Seems like as long as they're on the same freq and within range it would work.

Yes you can. I like the radio as you can find a NOAA Weather channel and get the latest weather update anywhere for your current location.

I'm thinkin even if I don't use this option initially, it might be nice to have if I decide I want to add a map or extra memory.
The ability to use Micro SD data cards is priceless and will allow you to add memory or purchased maps of areas. One side note the bigger the memory - the longer it takes to put that data up for use. A small pause I found worth it.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It sure is baffling...

To make a choice for a complicated one, when you started out using only a compass.

Wonder who does all that walking, to use all those way points?
Or maybe they have the unit fastened to the ATV they had to buy to go with the gps.

Basically for me it's going to be a going in, and the quickest way back after moving several times. That'll be a distinct advantage over the compass, and remembering your moves specifically.

Since I won't be going to unseen or unknown territory, I'll surely opt for one of the less expensive ones. And if I carry a cell phone, it'll be disconnected until I'm finished hunting.

But it's a price to pay for being old. You remember when you did without things that are now seen as essential.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Spike

It sure is baffling...
To make a choice for a complicated one, when you started out using only a compass.

Wonder who does all that walking, to use all those way points?
Or maybe they have the unit fastened to the ATV they had to buy to go with the gps.
I thought the GPS would walk for me! I can't afford to chaffe my feet- my stars, I'll have to get another pedicure!

I won't be going to unseen or unknown territory
That makes one of us.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Spike

Shredder.... I use GPS's for work everyday. I have a Garmin 530hcx and the new 650.. These units are soooo easy to use that I think you would be surprised ! I have used several different brands however I prefer the Garmin. Remember when you buy a GPS that you need to buy a GOOD mapping system to install. (Added cost). The walkie talkie feature is ok, however what I really like is the ability to "poll"your buddies out with you and see immediately where they are. Good luck!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.