Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Frozen Feet

Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default Frozen Feet

When attempting to get down from the stand after a hunt I found that my feet are so cold that I can't feel what I am walking on. Any suggestion on good boots or socks.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know what you use now but Id suggest decent 800-1000 gram thinsulate hunting boots. Then my wife uses these little heat pads that stick on the bottom of her socks....they stay warm for up to eight hours. We just got back from elk hunting in temps from minus 8 to 25 above. Her feet didn't get cold at all.

Last edited by skb2706; 01-11-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in WI there is nothing warmer than pack boots with the removable felt liners and insoles. Depending on your situation, you may opt for something less. I've got some 1200 gram thinsulate boots which are very warm, but I've never sat all day in them. Whatever your choice, always be wearing wool socks (not cotton). The toe warmers are a real benefit
Old 01-12-2013, 02:29 AM
Typical Buck

boot blankets are the way to go in extreme temps.Take em off to walk roll em up in your pack to and from stand or blind.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/icebrea...kets&FORM=HURE
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Remnard
boot blankets are the way to go in extreme temps.Take em off to walk roll em up in your pack to and from stand or blind.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/icebrea...kets&FORM=HURE
+1 only way to fly.

........any worse than that you need this;

http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/produc...bodysuits.html

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Spike

+1 on the boot blankets, when I'm hunting once my toes get cold its time to pack it in, its hard to sit still, I can hunt for hours with the boot blankets on without my feet getting cold, I put some hot hands in em once and they almost got too warm.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Spike

When it gets well below zero up here we use those foot warmer packets you can buy at Wally World, just put them in your hunting boots under your wool socks and your feet are toasty for at least 8 hours! The hand warmers work well to put in your hunting gloves too...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a good pair of boots with only 400g Thinsulate and a really good pair of socks.

I can spend hours in SoDak winter temps without any issues.

Are your boots too tight? That will cause your feet to freeze in no time.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had trouble with cold, freezing feet for years. I'm basically a stand hunter, and usually stay in my stand all day. Even bought a pair of Danners with 1200 gms. of Thinsulate. Didn't do the job for me. Even with the toe warmers, my feet got really cold in about 3 hrs. That's tough to put up with. Several years ago, I got a pair of Wolverine boots with, if I remember correctly, 400 gm. Thinsulate. Never really intended them for stand hunting, more for wearing if I'm going to be moving around and still-hunting. Well guess what.. they do a fantastic job in the stand too. Feet may get a tad chilly, but never get that freezing cold deal at all anymore. I was really surprised by their performance, and they are all I wear in the deer season anymore. Also wear them when I'm out plowing snow around here in the winter on my quad. Great boots!!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
I've had trouble with cold, freezing feet for years. I'm basically a stand hunter, and usually stay in my stand all day. Even bought a pair of Danners with 1200 gms. of Thinsulate. Didn't do the job for me. Even with the toe warmers, my feet got really cold in about 3 hrs. That's tough to put up with. Several years ago, I got a pair of Wolverine boots with, if I remember correctly, 400 gm. Thinsulate. Never really intended them for stand hunting, more for wearing if I'm going to be moving around and still-hunting. Well guess what.. they do a fantastic job in the stand too. Feet may get a tad chilly, but never get that freezing cold deal at all anymore. I was really surprised by their performance, and they are all I wear in the deer season anymore. Also wear them when I'm out plowing snow around here in the winter on my quad. Great boots!!
Yep, those are what I use as well.

Great boots all season long, never been "cold" yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.