Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Frozen Feet

Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 AM
Spike

Default I love these

Toasty feet, I am 70 and can hunt 3-4 hrs before my feet get cold in 15 degree weather and only 600 grams of thinsulate boots.
http://www.the-perfect-present.com/P...t-insoles.html
Good luck, Stan
Old 01-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to try when sitting in a stand ... if you walk in a long ways, expect your feet to be sweating. If that is the case ... I carry a spare pair of high quality wool/poly blend socks in a 1 gallon size freezer zip-lock bag and a few lens wipes.

My cold weather boots are Danners, full leather with 1000 gm. Thinsulate. I remove my boots & socks. Wipe my feet of with one of the "clear lens" wipes (which are achohol soaked). Put the fresh socks on. Attach "toastty toes" and slide my feet back into the boots. I leave the boots loose so that I do not restrict the blood flow.

It seldom falls below 20F where I hunt in SE Ala. The coldest I have had to deal with here has been about 7F. This methid of keeping my feet warm works fine for me. I imagine that in sub zero the boot blankets would be great to have.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've also punished with cold feet and hands, very uncomfortable sitting in a stand under those situations.
But again, ThermaCELL has come to the rescue...check out the ThermaCELL Heated Insoles, http://www.thermacell.com/heated-insoles-foot-warmers
These things really worked for me, solved all my issues with cold feet.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thermacell has a new product out that are remote controlled insoles. They have a charge of about 5 hours. Good for about 500 charges and run about $120. Haven't bought or used any but plan to get some before next deer season. Check them out at Cabela's
Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with ampahunter and VTBoneCollector they may seem a little pricey but the Thermacell insoles are the way to go!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Spike

I caught frost bite (mild) while in korea in the servic, and now must use good warm boots. I am currently using winchesters 1600 thinsulated boots. I can literaly stand in water during winter and not feel the cold yet on days say in the 30's or 40's they are still comfortable. I payed $170 for them but I no longer have any concerns about cold feet. I also use their 400 tinsulates for early season here in northern Illinois. They are well worth the money!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mickey mouse boots. Black MM boots for down to -20F and White MM boots for down to -60F.

Google
White mickey mouse boots
Black mickey mouse boots

You can find them in new condition military surplus for $50 or a little less.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 PM
fzo
Fork Horn

knitted socks by grandma are the best in combination with thick boots.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I find two temperatures in a day

One is the cold temp when you're walking and the other is the colder temp when you're sitting on a stand for an hour or more.

In near freezing and below temps, I use rubber bottomed insulated boots, and carried an extra pair of wool hunting socks.
Move slower to reduce feet from sweating.

Good to try out hunting socks on hikes through a park than to use them for the first time on a hunt of all day.

And you can make a mistake going strictly by civilian weather forecasts. A lot of them will give or stress the more optimistic low temp for the day, give a temp taken among some tall buildings holding more heat, than trees in a woods would. I'd listen to the forecast and then check the temp on the back deck to gauge the day's temp.
For some, cold is the time it takes to run from a warm house or building, til when the auto's heater is running and warms the inside of the vehicle. That's not the hunter's time.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

YOu can try these boot covers from Autumnwoods. There is nothing warmer than these.

http://www.autumnwoodoutfitters.com/catalog2.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.