Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Need help deciding on a new 30-06 and 12 GA! >

Need help deciding on a new 30-06 and 12 GA!

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need help deciding on a new 30-06 and 12 GA!

Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Spike

Default Need help deciding on a new 30-06 and 12 GA!

Hey guys-

i am new to this forum, so first I'd like to introduce myself. Im from SI, NY and have been hunting for many years but have been on a 10 year hiadus. I am in the market for a new 30-06 and shotgun. I have been doing alot of research on these guns but wanted to see if some of you can provide me with your opinion on the quality, accuracy, look, feel and recoil of these guns to help me make a decision. I primarily hunt in NY, mostly from a tree but also sometimes stalking. I use my 30-30 and 35 for the stalk hunts though. Thank you in advance!

Ok the 30-06:
I have narrowed it down (Im also open to other options if you think they are better) to the Browning X-bolt and the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade. My dad has the Winchester and loves it. Which one would you buy and why?

12Ga:
I have been looking at the Browning BPS Hunter and really like it. Do you think this is a good shotgun? Do they sell additional rifled barrels if I wanted to deer hunt with it? I will primarily be using this shotgun for turkey and pheasant hunts. Maybe some deer hunts if I feel froggy..lol

Thanks again and I want to thank you in advance for any informative responses!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

just want to point out that browning doesnt make anything, they have others make parts and basically just put them together.

i would look at thompson center venture, with the 5R rifling. guaranteed 1"moa@100yards. i got a 7mm-08 and it put bullets in the same hole at 100 yards, thought i missed, but instead it was a victory dance.
shot guns..depending on what yer doing with it...i would get a cheapo at academy or something. unless ya plan on competing or using it all year long...but for me it sits in the corner for home protection for the wife, and i take it dove hunting a few times a year at most. if i went duck/dove/turkey/quail all year, then i'd fork out some cash for a benelli. gl
Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Browning BPS is a great shotgun. A variety of barrels can be had for this gun. IMHO, it is one of the finest pump shotguns out there. Keep in mind that it is a bottom ejection style gun that may take some getting used to.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Spike

Ran into some issues with my current slug gun and it's replacement barrel so for opening day here in NY I went with my T/C Pro Hunter. I'm picking up a Benelli SBEII Slug Gun tomorrow! A few of my friends have the Benelli SBEII with the field/bird barrel and love it. I have the Benelli M1 and it's one of my favorites. I've thought about getting a Benelli SBEII for a while and decided to finally get it. If you've got the $$ shell it out for the Benelli. You won't be disappointed!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

06 Ruger , slug Mossberg
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BigJoe79
Ran into some issues with my current slug gun and it's replacement barrel so for opening day here in NY I went with my T/C Pro Hunter. I'm picking up a Benelli SBEII Slug Gun tomorrow! A few of my friends have the Benelli SBEII with the field/bird barrel and love it. I have the Benelli M1 and it's one of my favorites. I've thought about getting a Benelli SBEII for a while and decided to finally get it. If you've got the $$ shell it out for the Benelli. You won't be disappointed!
I haven't really looked into the benellis, but ill check them out now. Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Spike

Anyone ever hear of Ithaca model 37 featherlight 12 ga? I can't find many reviews on them.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Spike

My dad has the Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge that is probably at least 30+ years old. I've shot it a bunch and love it as well. He's never had an issue with it. In my opinions it's one of the "great ones," second to the 870, IMO.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Ithaca 37 is another fine choice for a versatile shotgun. IMO, one of the top four. ( Ithaca 37, Browning BPS, Remington 870 Wingmaster and the old Model 12).... Do a Google search on the Ithaca and you should find tons of info on it.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Tony7781
Anyone ever hear of Ithaca model 37 featherlight 12 ga? I can't find many reviews on them.
My rem.870 a workhorse,but owning a well worn ithaca 37 in 20 guage i would cheerfully trade 870 and some jacksons for a 37 in 12. Add a slug barrel just to be fancy and it would be plenty of shotgun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.