Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wool Colthing

Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
This stuff is the best out there. Some of it is on sale now. Which is a good opportunity to support our neighbors (usa).
I've not worn the pants. But, the bibs are outstanding. The straps are very comfortable. Remember to buy a larger waist size. A couple inches is what I did. If you try them on at the store. Look to see if you could tolerate even larger size. Room to grow.
Also, I like to have suspenders for my pants. When you are on an elk hunt you may lose weight (I usually start about 200 LBS and am 190 LBS when I get home) and you may put a lot of stuff in your pockets. That is a recipe for pants falling down as you walk around. Suspenders solves that problem elegantly.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My old fashion wool

Wore a Shetland wool sweater, under a winter coat, for a hike around the park this week. One other hiker in the weather with a wind factor temperature in the teens.
Sweater is over forty years old and the miracle is, it still fits. Been working on the cold and hiking for all that time.

Oh, and it worked real good in the cold.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-23-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok 41 any update? or u just a one hit blunder

I'm satisfied.

Last edited by Tundra10; 01-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

I've been wearing wool for 30 years hunting. Johnson bibs are much cheaper than filson, and to me do the same job. these cabelas are on sale right now. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wool has been the "standard" for many years; but now we have polartec & fleece.

Drys out in short order too !!!

Rain gear as outer and you are ready for anything...............................
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Dress right dress....

Originally Posted by Sageboy
I am very familiar with the Cabelas brand wool. More specifically there Outfitter series. Great stuff. Not only do you get the benefits of wool but they also add a layer of there Dry Plus lining for extra protection. I'm not aware of any other companies who add another layer such as Gore Tex. I could be wrong but I think all of Cabelas Outfitter series wool is on sale. The only gripe I have is the bibs or pants cannot be hemmed and come standard at 32". If that length works for you then great but I like 29" for hunting. Lucky for me the previous version was slightly different and I was able to get them hemmed.
Blouse those boots, Troop!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Back in the early 70's, when I made my first elk hunt in Idaho's Chamberlain Basin outfitter Scott Farr would not put you in the woods if you didn't wear wool. Goretex was brand new and way too noisy for trying to sneak in on a bull elk in rut. Filson's Double Cruiser was the gold standard, then & now Mine is 40 yrs old and still servicable, just a little tight in the waist line. Mate with a pair of Filson's wool bibs & you were comfortable in any weather conditions except a heavy rain. All the modern under garments have certainly raised the comfort level. Columbia and Cabella's wool offering look well made. Time will tell if they work for as long and well as the Filson's.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

I still love wool pants. The Swedish army pants with the cuff buckles doubles as gators. But I can wear them without anything under them most people don't like that. Fleece is pretty good stuff I have a bunch.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Spike

If you are looking to hunt out west and you want some wool clothing, you really need to check out First Lite's merino wool. It can be worn next to skin, is extremely odor resistant and breaths well. Like standard wool it retains body heat very well when wet also. Here is a video to check out for more information on Merino Wool. Hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH8OUAirg20