Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

DIY Scent Eliminator Spray

Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default DIY Scent Eliminator Spray

I know there are hundreds of related articles & threads on the internet on DIY scent eliminator recipes so I wont get into the usual specifics but I was reading up on homemade scent eliminators here at HNI & several other sites this morning before mixing up a batch & read that Scent Shield Bone Collector & Primos Silver XP uses colloidal silver in their recipes. Being as my Pops is a survivalist of sorts & a naturalist, I gave him a call & asked him if he had a bottle put away & of course he had several bottles stocked away. So he brought one over & we mixed a batch. After we did a little google search & discussed the matter over a pot of coffee, we decided to add 1/8 of a cup of colloidal silver to the recipe. From what Ive read of the peroxide/baking soda recipe, it is more effective than many store bought product on the market, mainly because their products are so diluted/watered down to save on production costs. And by adding colloidal silver to the DIY recipe, an antimicrobial agent, the DIY recipe is tremendously more effective than any store bought scent eliminator spray.

Here's an informative article on DIY scent eliminator vs Store bought scent eliminator. Enjoy! http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/re...bit-your-scent

Recipe

2cups H2O
2cups 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/2cup Baking Soda
1/2 Table Spoon Scent-free liquid soap
1/8cup Colloidal Silver

If youre looking for the specific instruction on how to mix & bottle the DIY product, like I said, there are hundreds of articles already covering the subject. Google it!
Hope this info saves you fine folks some $$$.

Last edited by On_Point; 10-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Spike

Nice tip on the colloidal silver. Makes perfect sense. I use the same formula as you posted, but double it because I am out there a lot and go through loads of scent protection. I just mixed up a new batch and am in the three day curing stage. Next round I will add the colloidal silver.
I also make a natural cover scent. I use spruce and cedar trimmings plus distilled water. I break up the trimmings and bruise them as much as possible to get the best benefit from them. I seep the concoction on low heat for a while, (usually about the time my wife starts complaining), then let it cool. I then use a food grade funnel with a coffee filter and fill up a spray bottle. I use a few squirts of this on the bottoms of my boots right before heading out to the stand or blind. I also use a few squirts occasionally in the blind. This combo seems to work great. On a few occasions I have had deer dead downwind of the blind without getting busted.