Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Please help, total newb here (which gun, etc) >

Please help, total newb here (which gun, etc)

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Please help, total newb here (which gun, etc)

Old 12-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

You can get a Mossberg 500 field/slug combo for $300-350 at a sports store such as Dunhams, Dick's Sporting Goods, or whatever happens to be around you.

That gun in a 12 gauge is the most value you could get from a brand new gun and would also be the most versatile.

You could also go to a pawn shop and find some good values...but would probably bring along somebody else who knows what to look for in a used gun.

Check to see if it is legal to deer hunt in your area and then decide if the extra cost for the combo is worth it.

My most versatile gun is a Smith and Wesson 12 gauge that my dad picked our for me (with my money) that was used for $210. I have hunted birds, small game, deer, etc with that gun. Over time i have added other guns to my repertoire to fit other needs....22 LR, deer rifle, slug gun, etc.

Good luck!

P.S. Make sure that you take a hunter safety class before you hunt if you haven't taken one already. You will learn a lot from such a class and is required to buy a hunting license.

Last edited by westcyderydin; 12-11-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 AM
Spike

I just shot an eight point at 90yds with mossberg 500 20 gauge with a slug barrel shooting rifled slugs not sabots. Pump action shotgun gives you the versatility to hunt almost any game. With that being said if I only had one gun it would be a smooth bore pump gun without chokes. When owned a mossberg 88 12ga smooth bore no choke I could keep a rifled slug on a paper plate at 100 yds free hand. If you want to shot slugs at 150 yds get a rifled barrel and shoot sabots. I'm pretty sure you can go to walmart and get a sinle shot combo where you get a shotgun and large caliber rifle barrel for around 250. Just a thought but it is only a single shot.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get the Mossberg. The action is sloppy. Get a Remington 870.