Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Danner or Irish setter

Old 09-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Spike

Default Danner or Irish setter

All,

I'm looking to get a new (quality) pair of boots. Being from Arizona I'll see a wide range of terrain and temperatures. Any advice/experience on either brand is appreciated. I'm also open to any other quality boot as well.

Thanks,
Effect

Last edited by effect; 09-24-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:36 AM
Spike

I have never owned a pair of Irish Setters but i do own a pair of the Danner Cabela's elk hunter 8" non insulated. Ive worn them in different outdoor situations year round and absolutely love them. The reason I got them in the first place was that my buddy's whole family swore by them and I've had mine for little over three years and they're going strong.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WNCRoberts
I have never owned a pair of Irish Setters but i do own a pair of the Danner Cabela's elk hunter 8" non insulated. Ive worn them in different outdoor situations year round and absolutely love them. The reason I got them in the first place was that my buddy's whole family swore by them and I've had mine for little over three years and they're going strong.
I'll take a look at them. How often do you wear them? Daily-weekly or a few times a year? Also how do you like the 8", i am thinking 6" for daily wear?

Effect
Old 09-19-2012, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

I have a pair of danner pronghorns with 400gr. I had them since 2010 and I have no complaints with them. I hike and hunt in the rockies from September until mid-May. The boot is too hot for the summer months. I will probably will need a new pair after this winter but for the amount I use them and the terrain they held up really well.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pair of Danner Pronghorn in 400 gr thinsulate, and a pair of Irish Setter Big Game Tracker GTX (no longer made) in 800 gr thinsulate and they are both great boots. The Irish Setters were waterproof out of the box, but the Danners leaked when I took them out in the snow a couple of times. I treated them with Danner's Waterproofing Gel and no problems since. I reapply every year.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Spike

I have a pair of 10-year-old Danner Sequoias (which I don't think are produced anymore). 800G thinsulate. I wear them every day in the fall and winter, until it gets REALLY cold. Then I switch to a newer pair (3 year-old) of Danner Pronghorns with 1600G.

I'm also wearing a pair of Danner workboots every day during the spring and summer. I can't kill these things (or ANY of these boots, for that matter).

Danners can be pricey, but like a lot of things, you get what you pay for.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Spike

I have a pair of Irish Setters that are about 8 years old. So far they've gone through hell, I probably wore them straight for 6 deer and turkey seasons, then they were chewed by two of my dogs (tore some of the inside out, didn't touch the outside). Without any treatment they are still alive and kicking and fully waterproof. I only wear them now for leaf raking and when riding my quads but I'm impressed.

On another note, I've heard nothing but great things about Danner and plan on ordering a pair of their Pronghorns soon.

Either way you can't go wrong wiith either brand as long as they fit you well. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

i have a pair of danner ft lewis boots that lasted 3 years climbing on tanks, hunting and every day work so i say danner
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the advice so far guys keep it coming! I think im leaning toward the Irish Setters since there is a local Red Wing store nearby. This is nice because they measure and fit your boot to your feet. Also its a plus if anything ever happens they can repair it locally.

I've been eyeballing the Irish setter Black bear line and the Trailblazer models.
I still have not ruled out Danner as i can get them from cabelas/ sportsmans etc, i just would have to sent them in which is really not a deal braker i suppose? Been looking at the Elk Ridge and other danners is that style range.

Still cant decide on if i want to get Insulated or non instulated and if so how much insulation.

Effect
Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pr of 15+ tr old Danner Canadians in 1000gr that look like I can get another 15 yrs out of. ( USA made) Irish Setter have some decent boots.

Of the 2 I'd pony up and get a pr of USA manufactured Danners.

Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.