Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Insulated underwear/ base layers??? >

Insulated underwear/ base layers???

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Insulated underwear/ base layers???

Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Polypropylene
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

I own both Under Armor and Gander's house brand base layers, and I think the UA works better (pretty sure it's not just in my head). You don't really need 4-5 pair, unless you are camping. At the end of a day's hunt, I rinse the set I was wearing out in the sink real good and wring it out. They stuff is designed to dry fast, and it does.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Lots to choose from poly, merino wool, fleece, etc. Is UA good yeah, are they over priced yeah, is there other stuff just as good yeah. A base layer of poly/merino high neck garment, under a fleece/merino layer, with a windproof top layer is what I use. it helps to have zippered garments to adjust to changes in body temp. No cotton including socks. I use that in some combination from 50 to -20.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I went to local army/navy surplus and got the fleece base layers and they are exrtremely warm and I only paid $25.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Spike

i dont like my underarmor. i got it when it first came out and got the longsleeve turtleneck and longjohns. i think it gets too warm and i sweat which then makes me cold. now i just layer with longsleeve shirt, t shirt, knit longsleeve, and heavy carhart hoodie. the carhart flannel lined jeans are nice as well.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nice to be an oldster

Who remembers when insulated underwear was insulated underwear and base layering didn't exist.

I just tested out some from two or three generations ago, insulated wear, that are still available, at a lower price.

Us old guys still see the twenties coming from the wallet instead of the credit cards. Of course when you survived zero and below weather in white cotton insulated underwear, basewear has a different meaning. Newbies know something different. And there is no changing that.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Spike

I'm right there with ya. The Under Armour is good but for the price I think you can find something just as good but cheaper.
I have never hunted anywhere outside of Tx but my buddy has and he uses wal-mart brand to layer up and then RuggedTUF as his outer layer.
He said he was up north in the cold rain and this stuff worked awesome. He recommended it to me so I went ahead and got myself a set. It has all the bells and whistles like blocks water, stains, odor, and even mosquitoes if you can imagine that- offers more than most of the super pricey stuff but for half the cost.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Once you go merino wool, you will never go back to stinky synthetics. I'm a Minus 33 guy myself, but there are quite a few solid brands to choose from and it really is the most comfortable, warm, non-stinky stuff ever!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Spike

We use silk if we are gonna be still hunting and under armourish type synthetic against the skin when anticipate a lot of stalking and sneaking around. Usually three layers on bottom and 4 on top. Don't forget really good socks. It won't matter about your base layers and such if your feet are frozen.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tuff Bucker
The hunt is $2500. this includes license, motel, hunt, and dressing/quartering. You have the option to be picked up for lunch, but I plan to stay out all 4 days. I have the redhead mountain stalker elite bibs and 4way parka. Redhead big horn boots. Wool socks and gloves. I will not wear anything on my head but a ball cap and ear grips (I can't stand anything else, drives me crazy). Of course standard camo pants and a fleece pullover.
As far as the base layer for example, the redhead pants are about $10 cheaper than underarmor and shirts $7. Which wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I plan on buying 4-5 of each.
I use th ECWS thermal and it does the job. It can be had for $19 a piece on sale.

I did post a question about the bibs and jacket you use and did not get a response. I was debating back and forth between the mountain stalker and the CWS systems for jacket and bibs. I bought the CWS and then saw the mountain stalker was on sale so went back to Bass Pro and tried them both on again. The mountain stalker jacket seemed lighter which I liked but then I was concerned it wasnt quite as warm (even though the sales associate said it was). The other thing was the neoprene cuffs which I thought would be nice but it was a little work getting on and off. So I went home to debate it some more and noticed that the sale price was no more so I guess I will stick with CWS. Anyway sorry for hijacking your thread.

I do like that Bass Pro ECWS base layer. Great stuff for the money. I live in Baltimore (home of Under Armour) and I like their stuff as well but have to be honest. $20 gets it done

Like someone else mentioned use merlino wool socks and 2 things that are even more important. Make sure you are using a wicking sock liner under the socks and make sure your boots have some room with these heaving socks. People get 2000 thinsulate boots with 40 degree below socks and when they slide their feet in, they are too snug....cuts off circulation and nothing helps at that point.

Good luck with your hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.