Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Insulated underwear/ base layers??? >

Insulated underwear/ base layers???

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Insulated underwear/ base layers???

Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Spike

Default Insulated underwear/ base layers???

I'm a NW Georgia boy, our deer seasons usually aren't that cold. Coveralls are usually fine. I'm going to northern Missouri in November. My outfitters recommend a good base layer. I am cold natured. Are the under armour brand really any better than any other? I would be interested in anyone that has tried the redhead brand at bass pro. Any other brand info will help.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, the Under Armor cold gear is that good. I have 2 suits of the basic model. It's even better if you wear it under a layer of merino wool. In any case I haven't found anything warmer.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you have a choice?

It's an outfitter making a recommendation. How much is his hunting fee? And how much is saved with less expensive base layer, not recommended?
And do you stay out, from dawn to dusk, regardless of the weather. Makes a difference. And of course, recommendations are made to protect the no return money policy of outfitters.

You say you have no cold weather experience. I know I've hunted in No. Georgia mountains, in the coldest, 20-32 degree weather I ever encountered. Cold and damp! And Georgians have a reputation, from my experience of under-dressing in cold weather.

What kind of cold weather footwear, gloves, and head gear are you taking. It's not just the hunting fee, as you may have realized.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Spike

The hunt is $2500. this includes license, motel, hunt, and dressing/quartering. You have the option to be picked up for lunch, but I plan to stay out all 4 days. I have the redhead mountain stalker elite bibs and 4way parka. Redhead big horn boots. Wool socks and gloves. I will not wear anything on my head but a ball cap and ear grips (I can't stand anything else, drives me crazy). Of course standard camo pants and a fleece pullover.
As far as the base layer for example, the redhead pants are about $10 cheaper than underarmor and shirts $7. Which wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I plan on buying 4-5 of each.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I love all my under armor stuff. If you want to save a little bit of money you could see it the athletic stuff (not necissarily camo or from the hunting section) is any cheaper. If im not mistakein i think i got mine for a better price that way
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Spike

Thanks for that advice, I will check into it.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 AM
Spike

for me,i didnt like the underarmour.it helps when its cold,but its no majic piece of equipment.for my money,i use the army surplus ecwcs poly pro underwear.you can get a top or bottom for around $20 each.to me its warmer,wicks just as good and doesnt have that tight squeezing feel of the underarmour.just my opinion.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rab123
for me,i didnt like the underarmour.it helps when its cold,but its no majic piece of equipment.for my money,i use the army surplus ecwcs poly pro underwear.you can get a top or bottom for around $20 each.to me its warmer,wicks just as good and doesnt have that tight squeezing feel of the underarmour.just my opinion.
I agree with a lot of this. I broke down and paid the $60 or whatever it was for the UnderArmour 2.5 lowers last year. Are they nice?? Yes. Should they be? Yes!! That being said are they nicer than my $15-$20 various brands of lowers? Not a noticeable 3 times better to me anyway. To be honest I have numberous pairs of wal mart base layers and they seem to work just fine. I have a pretty tight wallet when it comes to buying hunting clothing as I think 95% of it is over priced as heck!! Spending $150 on a light weight jacket of the big named brand stuff is not going to bring you home some big buck. Will it help?? hmmm, maybe a little but I'm no believer in needing all this scent killer stuff, etc, etc. Did they use it in the old days? no. It sure is nice material I will say that, however its mostly a huge marketing scheme that has made a lot of people fall for it. This topic could be debated for days but just thought I would rant and rave a bit. To each their own is bottom line.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting north central Missouri for 15 years. It does get very cold. I personally believe that the Under Armour does the best job as base layers. I have a green UA ColdGear turtleneck that I wear to work everyday in the winter (on the Mississippi River) and on every hunt I go on. I usually just wear that, a t shirt and a light-medium jacket or hooded sweatshirt and I am more than comfortable on November whitetail hunts. I would highly suggest investing in some UA base layers.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

look up proper cold weather layering,
can buy all the best gear, but doesnt help if you have a bad layer in there,
you dont have to buy top of the line,
but should have the right material as the right layer
synthetics against the skin, no cotton long johns under there,
if your gonna be hiking, have some layers you can remove as you get warm,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.