Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best ATV?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Best ATV?

Always an arguing point - and pretty much rightfully so.
So I'll throw my two cents in.

Bigger isn't always better and more times than not, bigger isn't better.

At this point I've had plenty of ATVs and 4X4s and my opinion is based on my experiences and those of many friends.

Yes big and powerful is great for things such as dragging big deadfalls for firewood, pulling others out of trouble, pulling implements or trailers. But away from those duties they are way more than needed. You don't need to be hunting squirrel with a .44 mag!

I believe a mid-size or smaller ATV is really the right fit so many more times than not. For me the offerings of easier handling, quietness, nimbleness and fuel economy are huge considerations.

Furthermore, the smaller ATVs, although not designed to regularly do or handle heavy duties, usually step up to the plate and meet or exceed expectations.

Food for thought.

I do bring a big Polaris 4X4 to camp every year. But I also have a couple small Suzukis 2WDs that are there and do the great majority of the necessary service. These smaller machines are agile, light, hauled in multiple deer and due to their light weight get over mud well as opposed to having to use excessive power to get thru it. Not to mention how easily they cut and twist thru tight trails and trees in the woods.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Agreed I have a 250 Recon that I love. I have no use for anything huge with winches and back seats. I like the control I have when driving little lighter 4wheelers.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Polaris sportsman 500 ...............
Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

my fav is the arctic cat 450 I wish I still had mine.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Spike

Though this is a lot like the ford vs chevy argument, everyone has their opinion and it's all personal preference. However, I'll chime in on this one.

I've got a Cat 500 manual (semi) and the H1 650. Both have excellently managed anything I've ever thrown at them. IMO you can't beat the 12 inches of ground clearance and the 10 inches of suspension travel that both have and their hauling capabilities. The 500 is my favorite tho, it's a little lighter and a lot more manuverable in the woods. Always my go to quad.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

I no longer use 4wlrs for hunting (to noisy) but I still have the same 4wlr I brought home when it was brand new in fall of 1997. It's THE toughest, most trouble free 4wlr EVER built, it's a 1998 Honda 300 4x4. I can't think of anything it won't do short of climb trees or dive in 10ft of water. MAN has this thing been dependable! Heck the original tires just dry rotted lastyear so it has a slightly larger set of Mud-Lites on it now, man will it ever go thru my swamp with these tires on it!

I have NO desire for an auto tranny, indie suspension, liquid cooling nor enough power to move Mt. Everest. I like simple & rugged!

Summer before last I bought 2 new Recons for my boys, put Mud-Lites on the rears of them and they go awfully well. Hope they prove as tough & trouble free as the 300!
HL

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 09-14-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:30 AM
Fork Horn

polaris sportsman 800. its big, mean, fast, a 2012, and gets the job done. in fact, thats what im driving to my hunting spot this morning.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Spike

Old trusty foreman 500 manual shift! not that fastest, not the prettiest, but always gets me there!!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Spike

Anyone you can afford, that will get you to your stand w/o drive your truck to it.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Spike

Honda makes some real good atvs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.