Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best ATV?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I no longer use 4wlrs for hunting (to noisy) but I still have the same 4wlr I brought home when it was brand new in fall of 1997. It's THE toughest, most trouble free 4wlr EVER built, it's a 1998 Honda 300 4x4. I can't think of anything it won't do short of climb trees or dive in 10ft of water. MAN has this thing been dependable! Heck the original tires just dry rotted lastyear so it has a slightly larger set of Mud-Lites on it now, man will it ever go thru my swamp with these tires on it!

I have NO desire for an auto tranny, indie suspension, liquid cooling nor enough power to move Mt. Everest. I like simple & rugged!

Summer before last I bought 2 new Recons for my boys, put Mud-Lites on the rears of them and they go awfully well. Hope they prove as tough & trouble free as the 300!
HL

I'll bet those recons will live way up to your Expectations.

This is exactly what I was referring to. The midsize and smaller ATVs year after year have proven out to be the most reliable. Getting you where you need to go without too much extra muscle or wait. There's a long list of them to the early Hondas the the Kawasaki Prairies and the small Yamaha's from the Bruim on down, all great midsize to smaller ATVs, lightweight, very agile and get the job done.

90% of the time you don't need anything bigger than a 300, 350, 400 or even a 500.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Spike

I just bought a 01 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4. What your opinion on this machine for hunting?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

1998 grizzly 600 with lockers in the front. Harder to steer, but would pull itself apart if I let it. True 4x4.

Them Honda's are real work horses, but I like the tranny in the Yamaha.

Tires make a big difference.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Spike

We have a 350 Honda Rancher and an 800 EFI Polaris Sportsman. The Rancher is smaller, easier to manuever, and a true blue workhorse. The Sportsman is after all, a Sportsman. It's apples to oranges. I prefer the Sportsman. My wife prefers the Honda Rancher.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Camo Mike
I just bought a 01 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4. What your opinion on this machine for hunting?
IMO it will get you in and out but really suffers when it comes to rack space.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Suzuki 450 Kingquad. It has fuel injection and independent suspension and a manual locker in addition to all automatic operation. The machine is used mostly for ice fishing and along with rear chains gets me through the deep Vt snow. when I bought it I went to a few sites for ATV reviews and the top 3 were Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda. I believe Polaris is putting out a nice machine now after quite a few years of maintenance issues. The people who bought cats haven't fared too well around here. Lots of problems.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...iclecategory=2
Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Spike

Honda Foreman or Rincon
Old 10-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Owned a few over the years. Started with the big red-honda then when I use to guide I ran honda foretrax manual shift, no fuss, not the best ride but reliable as heck. Still own a 400 foreman today it doesn't see a lot of action I must admit...a little rough as I get older.

Since the honda's I have had polaris, yamaha's and now Can Am.

The Can am is by far the best bike I have owned I got a deal on a 800 that I couldn't pass up but sold it and got a 650 Can AM last year. IMO its all I'll need. Great ride, power and goes everywhere. I use an ATV for getting big critters (Moose and elk) out of nasty places, pushing snow, hauling and towing. Its a work vehicle but rides nice. Strong stance gives no fear on cant or rolling over downfall/rocks. I am not a big mudder but this bike does that amazing as I find out a few times a year when I just need to go and get dirty.

Lots of good options, just find a bike that addresses your needs and feels good when in the seat.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three years ago I bought a 2006 Kawasaki 650. I wasn't looking for that big a motor but the price was right, it had 300 hours on it and was in good shape. I use it for deer hunting. I used to walk, but this year is my 70th and dragging a deer over a mile to the truck by hand has lost its appeal. If I had my choice of new rigs, I would go with a Honda Rancher, the fuel injected 420 cc. I think I would like to try the manual transmission, mine is auto and works well, tho. Fuel injection is a great plus. My Kaw. 650 is cold natured and takes awhile to warm up. It does not get much use but has not had any problems. It is very, very powerful. More then necessary for my uses. I would not hunt without an ATV of some kind.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Usually run a 48v lifted clubcar golf cart i camo,d. Added a vertical gun rack. Really no complaints till snow gets deep.
Been working on a tracked maxll aatv,have not hunted with it yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.