HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   New Mechanical braod heads???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/366874-new-mechanical-braod-heads.html)

LI archer 06-23-2012 06:47 AM

New Mechanical braod heads????

still 50/50 on using mechanical BH's this season with my new bow/arrows... all the reviews i read i can not find one MBH that is consitantly liked by reviewers. anyone try the new 2012 models?? or any suggestions for a good MBH?? I get alot of 1/4away shots and alot of MBH reviews say the heads dont perform well on 1/4 away shots???
thank you

The_Hunter323 06-23-2012 09:05 AM

i would recommend the rage two or three blade they both work very well and put HUGE hole in the deer

MUZZY 100 06-24-2012 08:02 AM

I have shot the rage 100 gr -2 blade for the last 3 years and had great results with 1/4 ing away ,and more.Every deer that i have shot with the rage fell within sight...just my2cents !!

LI archer 06-25-2012 11:16 AM

thanks guys! the rage 3 blade is illegal in NYS will look into the 2blade esp the new one with chizel tip..

HDMontana 07-05-2012 12:32 PM

Years ago I tried mechanical broadheads with some marginal results. Took a bull elk and a couple of whitetails with them. Since then, I have gone back to fixed blades. Started using a 4 blade 100 grain slick trick magnum a few years back and love them. Hit where my field points do out to 60 yards. Maybe farther but that's as far as I practice with broadheads.

LI archer 07-10-2012 09:47 AM

Thanks HD. I finally made time to sight my bow in out to 40yrds so far sunday. shoots great! tried the practice muzzy 4blade 100 and was shooting low. my old bow i never had to adj broad heads after sighting in with feild tips. gonna try a bunch more times then try the grim reapers and rage from Cabela's this way if not happy i can return for credit.... still alil weary about mechanicals but willing to try once..

grinder67 07-31-2012 06:41 AM

I was just wandering why the 3 blade rage is not legal in nys?

bdydrp97s10 07-31-2012 04:04 PM

I bought Grim reapers this year, and the included practice tip dropped about 5 or six inches while my field were dead on at 40 yards. No big deal, just a few adjustment to get it back on target. This will be my first year using mechanicals.

Alknew182 08-01-2012 06:50 AM

The nys state law says:

"Barbed broadheads are illegal for hunting big game. A barbed broadhead is one in which the angle formed between the trailing or rear edge of any blade and the shaft is less than 90 degrees. Broadhead examples on the right compare one that is barbed to three that are legal. Broadheads with retractable blades are legal. Broadheads with mechanical blades are legal if the blades DO NOT form a barb or hook when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of a deer or bear."

So the Rage blades are well past 90, and form a barb in their description.

Mojotex 08-03-2012 09:29 AM

My $.02. Are you having issues with planing? With clean kills? If not, why change and risk the failure of a mechanical.

I've bow hunted for 50 years or so now. I have yet to see any issues with high quality so called fixed blades .... either the old styles I started out with back in the 60's or the replaceable blade styles I started using in mid 80's.... making clean quick kills, and being dead on accurate. I have seen significant issues with mechanicals of about every vintage and make including lousy penetration on both broad side and angled shots, failure to open fully, and some mighty weak blood trails. To be fair, I have also seen some hellacious wounds and massive blood trails as well. But not often. The inconsistency I don't like ..... so for my $$$ I stay with what has worked well for me ... and rather recently that has been Thunderheads and Montec. I now use Montec out of a crossbow. Have for 5 seasons with excellent results. Extremely tight groups and clean slicing, with deep penetration or complete pass through. Knock on wood, I have yet to fail to recover ... even on a poorly placed, well back shot that I made last fall.