Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Importance of all your camo patterns matching when in the field? >

Importance of all your camo patterns matching when in the field?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Importance of all your camo patterns matching when in the field?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

What the foliage looks like above ground is not how the ground itself looks like. If a person thinks the camo looks good, then they will buy it. Doesn't matter what the animal thinks. Movement is what gives you away every time.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear a little in turkey season. Stress alittle , shirt and hat.

Deer season straight up gray Filson wool, top and bottom.

Have had all species spear chuckin close. Limited MOVEMENT is key.

my opinion
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Spike

I have hunted using camo and not using one (plain forest green shirt and black jeans), and the results were quite the same. I actually thought that if I use camo, I would be able to hunt some more, but it was a stupid notion. What's worse, I got to spend much on that camo.

Experience and stealthiness are the best camo when out hunting.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

most of my hunting on LI is maples,oaks,cedars and locust trees. afew years ago my real tree camo jacket zipper broke so i started using an old jacket in mossy oak camo.. in the same tree as RT camo i was getting picked off. when i see mossy oak it looks like a big blob of dark.. I gave up and bought a new jacket in real tree and was fine again from there on... I see my buddies in MO camo and next to them are others in RT and at a distance RT looks less like a spot then MO.... in my opinon..
Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wear dark green wool trousers and a red plaid wool shirt. Sometimes I wear a dark green wool vest over the shirt. I take deer and elk reliably. I don't think camo matters much for rifle hunting. For bow hunting -- which I do not do -- you have to get closer. Maybe camo is important in bow hunting? I don't know.

There are other elements to remaining undetected by big game. Sit in the shadow. Sit rather than stand. Be still. When you move, move slowly. Surround yourself with clutter or things in front of you that break your outline. Be silent. Be downwind of the game. If you wear great camo but neglect these things, I think you are going to be detected.

Others may disagree, but I think camo is just an effort by marketing types to separate a hunter from his money.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with everyone that has mentioned movement as a big factor. Less movement, less likely to be seen. Though I still wear camo because deer are not stupid, they are in the woods far more than we are and understand when "something doesnt look right" in that tree or on the ground. I wear ASAT camo and will be purchasing Predator camo as well. These two camo patterns IMO serve me best in how I hunt. I always have a backround that helps break up my outline and I dont mean a tree trunk. I like to have stuff just beyond my tree to help "blend" everything in and try to make it look as natural as can be in that spot. I dont like Mossy Oak, AP Realtree, etc because yeah, they look good in the magazines...because they took the time to find the right spot for that photo. Doesnt always work in every situation you are in. ASAT and Predator camo, even Skyline Camo are simple in their concept and I feel blend in better with far more situations in the woods than the Mossy Oaks, Realtrees, etc.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Spike

Great posts. I have a closet full of different patterns and have thought of switching them up to adjust to condition in the woods.