HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   5 mile " FRS' s" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/36227-5-mile-frs-s.html)

Adrian J Hare 08-28-2003 07:29 AM

5 mile " FRS' s"

Guy' s ,, I have to get some prices on Radio' s , being someone wanted mine from my truck. I would like to get some info on these FRS' s that are good out too 5 miles (Brand name and Price ranges). I had some Midlands and loved them, do they make one that is in that class? Thanks for the help...BT

txhunter58 08-28-2003 12:07 PM

RE: 5 mile " FRS' s"

Don' t want to get bogged down in semantics, but as I understand it a FRS radio only claim to reach 2 miles and do not require an FCC license. Any radio that claims to go 5 miles needs an FCC license.

As far as FRS goes, Motorola makes a good " talkabout" model that is good. A pair of them goes for about 60 bucks, and they were offering a rebate.

Can' t help you if you really want a more powerful radio

t-roy 08-28-2003 07:22 PM

motorola does make the gmfrs, 5 mile radios. i have never uesd the 5 milers, yet, but motorola is the only brand i will ever buy. check the catalogs for prices, then check ebay for the good deals

David/Mo 08-29-2003 04:01 AM

Audiovox is selling GMRS radios that I have seen a Walmart that boast a 7 mile range, don' t know anything about the 7 mile ability. I have some older Audiovox 5 mile GMRS radios and like them alot.

PABowhntr 08-29-2003 11:08 AM

First off, any of those claims of 5 or 7 mile ranges are only true under ideal conditions...ie, no obstructions like hills, trees, houses, etc....

Two, the above post is correct. FRS radios are limited to .5 watt of power by the FCC. Because of that they can only have an ideal range of about 2 miles. Chances are that if you find a radio that advertises more than that then it is a GMRS radio. GMRS radios do require and FCC license to legally use....even the dinky 1 or 2 watt bubble pack models you find at Walmart. The license can be obtained at www.fcc.gov but it will cost you $75 the last time I looked. It lasts for 5 years and covers everyone in your immediate family.

If you are looking for a recommendation on a good GMRS radio that will get you at least 4 or 5 miles...realistically...then I suggest you look at least a 3 watt output model with a detachable BNC or other style antenna. RadioShack and Midland both offer models along this line at some reasonable prices.

You can also check out www.bills2way.com and www.popularwireless.com for more radios and a great messageboard about these type of issues.

Hope this helps.

Adrian J Hare 08-29-2003 03:43 PM

Thankyou Fella' s its nice to have hunters helping hunters [:-] ...BT

Deleted User 09-04-2003 09:09 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Brampton Mike 09-06-2003 04:35 AM

:DAdrian....check out Radio World on Steeles ust east of the 400....that' s where I got mthe Cobras I had last year for the deer hunt & they had the best prices around....[:-]....see you at the show.........Brampton Mike [8D]

Have 2 Hunt 09-06-2003 11:57 PM

I have tryed them all and there is no substitute for more watts. We have 5 watts that we can usually get 5 mile from but the general rule of thumb is watts=miles. I just got a Rhino GPS/radio and will try that this year but will continue to cary my Motorola 5 watt because it seems to get double the range. I think watts are a luxury like an ice maker on the frig, easy to live without until you get them and get spoiled then they are a necesity.:) just my .02