HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Heated Clothing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/357703-heated-clothing.html)

redmag 01-26-2012 12:23 PM

Heated Clothing

Anyone ever try any of the heating clothing, vest, jackets, etc. I have seen some that look pretty good but was hopeful someone had some experience with the stuff. I know electric sock don't seem to work, at least not for me.

Jim

js7924 01-26-2012 02:55 PM

Redmag,
I just received my Milwaukee "Cordless Heated Jacket".It's camo and water proof. I am planning on trying it out this weekend. I'll report back on it.

John

redmag 01-26-2012 03:09 PM

Thanks John, I hope it is cold enough to get a good test of the gear. That brand is the brand that I had seen and liked the most. I stand hunt here in WV and VA and cannot tolerate the cold even when dressed in layers and all the correct layers. I have tried one of the body heater suits and they help but I still get cold.

Jim

HDMontana 01-26-2012 05:55 PM

Friend of mine has the Milwaukee jacket but he does not hunt and it is red. He did say that it keeps him nice and toasty. Not sure about battery life.

halfbakedi420 01-26-2012 06:57 PM

helps to get yer mitochondria goin if you take a shower and dry off outside and get dressed in the freezin arse cold, if you go bak in the warm area, it wont work. then layers and electric socks will help. just putting on the freezin arse clothes gives a sensation of warmth.

side note, i have been usin my therma cell to keep warm, works under the jacket, or in my hands to keep blood runnin through that release finger.

js7924 01-27-2012 02:53 AM

I know what you're say about the cold, , I stand hunt in the Buckeye and with these ole blood thinners and even wearing both a #3 and #4 base "under armour"shirts I was about froze in 2 1/2 hrs. I too hope this jacket is the answer.

js7924 01-29-2012 09:04 AM

RE- Heated Clothing

Originally Posted by redmag (Post 3905424)
Thanks John, I hope it is cold enough to get a good test of the gear. That brand is the brand that I had seen and liked the most. I stand hunt here in WV and VA and cannot tolerate the cold even when dressed in layers and all the correct layers. I have tried one of the body heater suits and they help but I still get cold.

Jim

My best tryout of the Milwaukee M12 Heated Jacket to date.
This morning 1/29/2012 north central Ohio, 19 degrees - 25-35 mph wind, started 6 am till round 9:20am, in 17' high tree stand.
I started with a tee shirt, M12 jacket, fullface tobagon, #3 base pants and jeans. Low heat thru med. was not enough so put on a med wt. Carhart hooded sweatshirt over jacket. Bumped temp to High and less than 5 min. my back and shoulder warmed up. I turned jacket down to med. at sat till around 9:20. Had to stop cause granma call and said grandaughter woke up and wanted paps.
I want to try the jacket in some lower temps only without the higher winds. Like try different clothing over and under jacket to see how low a temp setting I could use a still be comfortable. So today I got almost 3 1/2hrs out of the battery, don't know how life was left in it. So far I can't say anything negative about the jacket.

redmag 01-29-2012 09:37 AM

Thanks John, I have been anxiously awaiting your findings on the jacket. I would really like to try the heated vest with a lightweight undergarment and then my usual coveralls and whatever layer I might use. My biggest problem really starts with my feet and hands and in time the rest of my body is too cold to hunt comfortably. Heavy boots and good gloves don't seem to help at all. Please post more as you try the jacket.

Jim

Valentine 02-28-2012 12:05 PM

I had to look the term up

Heard of heated socks, but never clothing.

Would have to wait awhile. Not now in real frigid weather. Besides, I took a look at the costs, and they froze my wallet shut.

LonRainJer 02-29-2012 06:11 AM

I have the older SITKA version of their heated vest. It has since been recalled but I refuse to send it back for a refund. It has become a valuable tool when sitting on long cold hunts.

My only complaint would be battery duration if you have it on a high setting. You only get about 2 hours on high but more like 4-5 hours on a low setting.

What I have found out that extends that duration is to wear the vest just over say a T shirt and then put another layer on top of that. The outer layer tends to hold that heat in near your core and this keeps you warmer. Wearing it as an outer layer just lets the heat escape and does not hold it in for warmth.

I have used my SITKA Dutch Oven vest down to single digits and stayed warm. I am headed to northern Canada in May and I can assure you that it will be packed for the trip.

If you wear it as an inner layer then it really doesnt matter what color it is.

Good luck with your choices.