Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
I need help on picking a scope. >

I need help on picking a scope.

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

I need help on picking a scope.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Spike

Default I need help on picking a scope.

Hi, I'm fairly new to hunting, but I have a Remington Genesis ML and hunt in Ohio primarily during deer season, I'm interested in upgrading my scope, I killed a doe this year with the stocked scope, but I'm looking for something far more better in the 180$-220$ range. If anyone has any advice for me that'd be great including on what to use as the propellant should i use pellets, or loose powder? Thanks and it's much appreciated.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold VX-II, Nikon Pro Staff or Buckmaster, or Bushnell Trophy, I like the 3-9x40
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

In that price range I would take a look at the Burris Fullfield II or E1. I would also use loose powder because you can really dial in a load with it.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Burris fulfield II , great scope for the $
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Bushnells have held up well on my guns. Just got a new Vortex that I have yet to try.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Leatherwood on mine.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Duckhunter, I used to be in the Perryville 1140th, back when I was young. I was in the USAF 61-66, never went to Nam, tho. Live in Ripley Co.
Now to scopes. I have a cheap Bushnell on a 30-06, it is a 1.5-4.5. It is clear, picks up light well and has a very wide field of view. I think they sell for about $70 full price and it works great. I don't care for a large scope with a big objective lens, this one is about 32mm. It says "Banner" on the side.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Vortex Diamondback!!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Depends on the individual

I'd recommend you get out to the local outdoor stores and check what's available. I'd check how my eyes worked with the various scopes, and go from there. And hopefully you get to take care of scope and eyes and spread out the cost, over say ten years. At a larger store, I'd pick out the shadiest spot and use the scope there to spot. All antlers don't show up in the greatest of lighting conditions.

Scopes, in the end, depend on the quality of your eyes and what's in your pocketbook. So none of us are the same.

Most scopes can work at 10 in the morning under sunny skies. The better scopes work better under early dawn conditions and late sunset conditions. Better scopes work better in shadowy daylight conditions. And it gets to be a question of not seeing a deer, but seeing the antlers, in light conditions that are not always good.

In the end, you hunt what you see and the conditions under which you hunt, as a hunter.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

My step-son just put a Nikon muzzleloader scope with bdc on his bone collector. Really likes it so far. Loose powder will allow you to try different load charges to find the one that is most accurate for your gun and bullet of choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.