Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting ATV

Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice on ATVs Jenks and PastorJim! I will stick with at least 350 CC. And considering I am in clay that can get pretty slick, I think 4WD would be a must. Mostly just will be working some small plots, but I might end up using it for ice fishing and other stuff. I am not too much of a trail rider.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Can't count the number of times I have cussed about someone coming in driving an ATV into the forest service where they are not allowed and screwing up a setup with me working a bull elk. If it is where ATV's are allowed then so be it but I really don't like it when people drive them where they are not suppose to. Now, that being said, the older I get the more appealing they are to me. I currently do not own one, but am really considering getting one within a year or two. Packing out elk quarters is hard work and the thought of getting closer with an ATV would greatly save wear and tear on me. Sometimes I am in 4 miles one way on foot after elk. ATV's definitely have their place , especially for handicapped and elderly hunters, and hopefully in the near future, in my garage.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

This is my current ATV. Gets me into places motorized vehicles are not allowed.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use my ATV on public land. We have a lot of it here in a national forest and ATV's are not allowed. I do use it on a family farm where there is not supposed to be other hunters. I would be upset too if someone ran off some game that I was trying to get close to. On a farm, deer become used to tractors and don't seem to be very afraid of ATV's. I have passed within less then 100 feet of deer and sometimes they just watch me, sometimes they run. I don't carry a loaded gun on an ATV, it is in a hard plastic case strapped to the front rack. I do sometimes use the ATV to try to move deer when other family members are in stands. I used to do this on foot, but age and heel spurs stopped that.
I have not been on a trail ride, we don't have any close. I expect that it is fun, especially when in pretty country. I ride mine around the house every now and then to keep the battery charged. I live in the country and have a long driveway around the house. I did that this afternoon, in fact. I do not live on the farm that I hunt on, it is almost 300 miles away. I have a small trailer that I cart it up there on.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm looking at Kawasaki 750 EPS Brute Force
Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own 400 acres in WV and my ATV helps me with my limited schedule. I can go in and hunt a weekend and haul me and my stuff up the mountain and hunt...without killing myself in the process.

When I go for extended periods, I usually leave it at camp. I've killed a lot of deer that I would have driven past.

I bought my current ATV 10 years ago. It is a Bombardier Quest 650 4x4. It has 2000+ miles on it and I've bought tires, filters, oil and a spark plug tube ($15). It has been a monster since the day I got it.

At this point, I think all brands are solid. The only thing is the bells and whistles. I'm not a Polaris fan myself...but to each his own. The only complaint I have about mine is that it is full time 4WD and it's a little rough to steer.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Kaw. 750 would be a lot like my 650, just a bigger motor. The power steering would be good, mine does steer hard unless I am moving. Kind of like old vehicles before power steering. I imagine the Bombardier 650 is much the same too. They used to sell a switch and wires for about $100 to convert Honda 4WD's that did not have the 4WD on/off switch. Maybe they sell those for Bombardier too. I hardly ever have mine in 4WD, I expect it would steer harder if it was on.
Is Pulaskiville near Pulaski? My g-g-grandfather is buried somewhere in Mercer Co, WVA, not too far from Pulaski, VA. There are some bigger mountains near there, an ATV would be the ticket if I had to climb them. Beautiful country.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in Ohio......
Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about that Pro-Line, I have VA on the brain. My wife is from there. HDMontana has another way to get there that is a whole lot better then walking. A bike would be great except when it comes to hauling out something heavy You would have to be younger then I am for it to be very attractive, too. I am trying not to use the legs too much. I expect that the dirt bikes would do well too. I guess you could haul some weight with one too, the ones that are about 125cc and up. I have heard folks from out west talk about "goats", which they described as a motorized two-wheeler that is made for the woods. With the evolution from two wheeles to four wheels and then to side by sides, we will be back to the Jeep soon. I never owned one of them, but they have to be handy.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

A children's Bike trailer is a great way to haul out and elk quarter. As long as you don't have to many up hills:rolleye0011