HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Brunton Epoch' s vs. Swarovski? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/35651-brunton-epoch-s-vs-swarovski.html)

Geronimo 08-19-2003 08:45 PM

Brunton Epoch' s vs. Swarovski?

Anybody know which of these high end binoculars is better i.e. brighter, clearer,etc.?

stubblejumper 08-19-2003 10:48 PM

RE: Brunton Epoch' s vs. Swarovski?

I will take swarovski over any brunton product.

RedAllison 08-21-2003 11:54 AM

Brunton, who is that? LOL, jk Geronimo but in all honestly NOTHING from Brunton will stand up to Swarovski/Kahles, Ziess, Leica etc...

SLCs with the " doubler" and you are IN for life!
RA

Geronimo 08-22-2003 01:58 PM

The reason for the question is because of a review I saw on the so-called bible of all optic sources: www.betterviewdesired.com. They are saying after extensive comparisons they rate the Brunton Epoch' s as good as any European brand. They say the " progressive focus" feature may give them an edge because of ease of use in the field.

hoythunter48 08-23-2003 10:11 AM

i use brunton binoculars only because i cant afford swarovski lol i think they are fine optics but you get what you pay for

jimboH 08-25-2003 05:18 AM

;) I called Cabelas and ordered several five pairs of binoculars - pretty much maxed out the credit card. I was upfront w/ them saying a with such a potentially expensive purchase, I just didn' t want to " guess" and they were cool w/ it.

anyway, I went out to some property nearby that was similar to the area I hunted at dawn & dusk and also under overcast as well as clear days for about a two week period. For me the main criteria is how well do they gather light at dusk/dawn and how well do they provide contrast. I found the Swarowski EL in 8.5 was the best. I really liked the Zeiss, esp since it was about $400 cheaper, but the Swarowski' s won out after numerous trials in all conditions.

I have found the rule of thumb is get a cheap rifle (since they can all hit a pie plate at 100yds) and the best optics - including scope- you can afford. Here in the south, most deer go nocturnal and your only real chance besides a drive is to catch them at dawn & dusk. The optics REALLY have extended my day to the absolute legal limit, esp in pine forested canopy. I recommend a " real world" trial for something this expensive.

Angus74 08-29-2003 10:23 PM

I agree that for the most part, Swarovskis are a better company, I use Bruntons because the local bow shop sells them and they are cheaper. BUT, the Epochs are new to the Brunton line and in the same price range as the Swarovskis, about 1400.00. We compared a pair of Epochs to Swarovski, Leica , and Pentax and the Epochs were as good as the ELs, and they also have the doubler that screws on, I think they are a very competitive high end binoc.

Geronimo 09-03-2003 08:52 PM

JimboH, Did you try the Epoch' s in your comparison?