Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which rifle???

Old 12-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Spike

Default Which rifle???

I'm breaking down and buy a rifle. Been considering it for a while and decided to do it. I want one I cam use for chucks, coyotes and deer. I have decided on a .270. I'm stuck between the savage 111 and the weatherby vanguard. I have heard great things about both. Any experience with either rifle. Not buying a package will top it with either a nikon pro staff, leupold, or bushnell elite. Thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Spike

I own a weatherby vanguard and a savage 116 weather warrior. There won't be much difference in the 111 and 116. Both weatherby and savage rifles I own are very accurate... I don't have anything bad to say about the savage! The only complaint i have about the vanguard was the trigger! It had a ton of creep and had a pull that felt like it was a foot long. It was awful. I did some adjusting on the trigger and got it alot better. However my next move is to buy a timney trigger for it. I don't think you can go wrong with either rifle. But I'm now a huge savage fan and I love the accutrigger so it gets my vote!
Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of Savage 16 FCSS weather warrior in .204.

Accutrigger & Accustock

Love it !!!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Spike

Thanks I was already leaning towards the savage 111 with the accu trigger. Vanguards got the looks but all I have read is that savages are lights out shooters. With some good glass it sounds like it will be a tack driver and the deer and yotes don't care how pretty it is.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Spike

I would highly recommend looking at a Tikka T3 rifle. Very impressed with this gun. It is a great value.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

my dad has a Browning 270 that he's had for "18 years" (if you ask him; all his gear is 18 years old hahaha) but it's more like 20-25 years old and in MINT CONDITION. this thing shoots like a dream. I have a marlin 3030 and I love it but I love hunting with his rifle. It's perfect velocity, weight, size for hunting in the woods of the midwest.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

I have a stevens which is an inexpensive savage that is a tack driver.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Savage is a good acurrate rifle, though it is heavy and many do not care for the look of a savage. And can be had for less than many other rifles, good bargain. But, I'll second the Tikka. The Tikka T3 is acurrate as well. Made by Sako and they use Sako barrels on the Tikka. It cosst a bit more. For a deer rifle consider a smaller caliber like a .243.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

i have the savage weather warrior in 22-250. you couldnt possibly have a better gun in my opinion. i knock down deer with it all day and you can guarantee it would make short work of any yote or groundhog. i would recommend the 22-250 for you purposes. light recoil and accurate as can be. some consider it light for deer, but i have never had one run more than about 50 yards. as for the scope, i would say the prostaff 4x12 or the buckmaster 4.5x14. in my opinion, the buckmaster is worth every penny.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am familiar with the Savage 111 "Light Weight". A buddy of mine bought one in 308 Win.Rem. It has the Accutrigger. This rifle ended up to be a very accurate shooter once we found the best factory load .... for this one it turned out to be a Federal Premium using a 165 gr. Sierra Game King bullet. Shot group after group in the range of .75 to 1.25 MOA. I consider that excellent for a factory grade rifle and non custom loaded ammo. Of the scopes that you mentioned, I think that you would be well pleased with a Leupold or Elite in your price range.

I am not familiar with the Weatherby rifles these days having shot only one older Mk 5 chambered for 300 Weatherby Mag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.