Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
hunting rig, keep jp/trade in for F150 most $ effective next 15 yrs >

hunting rig, keep jp/trade in for F150 most $ effective next 15 yrs

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

hunting rig, keep jp/trade in for F150 most $ effective next 15 yrs

Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Spike

Default hunting rig, keep jp/trade in for F150 most $ effective next 15 yrs

I'd like some suggestions about my current vehicle situation. I currently own a 2008 4DR Jeep. It has room but not a ton. The more I get into hunting(i'm new to hunting) the more I think a truck would be better. I currently don't own any blinds or tree stands, but know I would have difficulty hauling them around in my jeep. For my harvest i'd have to get one of those racks that goes into the hitch in the rear. I can't really afford to go buy a 2nd vehicle due to it taking FOREVER to save up to due to single family income. Which means I need a daily realible driver. I'm usually the type that does't trade in every year, I want to keep untill the wheels fall off. So that all being said, would it be worth it to trade the jeep in on a newer truck, my payments would be about the same just for a little longer than they are now. or would it be best just to get a utility trailer. the only thing with is having to pay extra gas while towing, not to mention when i go on long distance hunts in MO and back east. so what do ya'll think would be the most cost effective over tyhe course of the next 10-15 years.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Spike

Find a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost. Either supercab or supercrew, depends what you want. I've had my supercrew/4x4/ecoboost for about a month now and LOVE it. On longer highway trips I can get 21+ mpg, plus I have all the power I'd ever need. 65 more hp than my old '05 5.4L v8, and 5mpg better!

I think a truck makes total sense for you.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

prob cost effectiveness would have you keeping the jeep and getting the trailer to pull. When you factor in the extra cost to trade, you prob wont ever make it up in gas savings, and with the jeep you have 4wd (unless the truck would be 4wd too then its a wash). I guess the only other factor would be how reliable is the jeep vs the truck 15 years down the road.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Spike

doesnt the jeep have a lifetime drivetrain warranty ,you can drive the jeep in the woods ,you can also lift the jeep for very little ,If you drive the truck in the woods ,it might not be able to drive it out ,like the old reliable jeep will .just my 2cents .
Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Spike

doesnt the jeep have a lifetime drivetrain warranty ,you can drive the jeep in the woods ,you can also lift the jeep for very little ,If you drive the truck in the woods ,it might not be able to drive it out ,like the old reliable jeep will .just my 2cents .
Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Spike

get the trailer. It will cost you way less. I dont even notice the one I pull for hunting and you will be suprised at what else you will use if for.

Remember no car payment pays you back every month
Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Spike

keep the jeep, buy a hitch carrier, can load it with your kill, coolers, stands, etc. Also can make/build, or buy the roof top carrier for more storage. Or buy a small 4 wheeler trailer, single axle type.

I have a 2008 F350 crew cab and just went to montana to hunt for 10 days. I loaded the back seats with food/clothes, guns, and ammo. Tool box with tools, straps and random stuff. Then I put my quad in the back and loaded it down. I had hardly any room to spare. Now if I had taken my wife 2010 4door Jeep Rubicon I would have had to take the trailer for the quad, more stuff then would have been on the trailer and that means more room in the jeep for people and movement. Plus I would have gotten better fuel milege.

In the end I would take the jeep next time.