Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Looking for new hunting clothes. What to get? >

Looking for new hunting clothes. What to get?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for new hunting clothes. What to get?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Spike

Default Looking for new hunting clothes. What to get?

I am looking for some warm non bulky hunting clothes and I was wondering which is best. I am looking at either ScentLok Timberfleece, Scentlok Full Season or something from UnderArmour. Does anyone have any of these that they can advise me on. I have a pair of warm bibs and parka but they are extremely bulky and hard to walk in. Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I like Sitka gear, but it on the high end of the price range but I feel it's worth it.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Spike

I just use a set of carrhart bibs and coat. I just wash them and then hang them outside to air out. approx. a month before the season starts I get some leaves and grass throw them in an unscented trash bag with the carrhart stuff and tie it off. No need for the scentlock stuff that way. Everything else is just layered from longjohn's to sweat's.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mongo44
I just wash them and then hang them outside to air out. approx. a month before the season starts I get some leaves and grass throw them in an unscented trash bag with the carrhart stuff and tie it off.
Around here we call that Redneck Scentlok. It works, that's why I use it.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Match camo pattern to surroundings............I don't care about the brand name.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

make do with what you have for now, and then first of january hit dicks and gander mountain for their closeouts.....i bought a bunch of new hunting clothes last year like this for 60 to 80% off.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can speak first hand only for Under Armour and camouflage patterns. I have had several friends that got into the Scent Lok type stuff a few years back. I know of none that buy it now. Enough said as far as I am concerned !!

I was given an UA top/bottom set as a gift. I liked it so much that I bought two more sets. It is wicks great, holds body heat well and is very comfortable. So far it has prven to be shrinkless and durable.

As far as cammo - anything woodsy works. So whatever pattern floats your boat will work. Whatever you buy, make sure that it is quiet.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

Save your money, don't get garments with ScentLok, play the wind, match camo color to surroundings as mentioned above.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Spike

Check into good layered undergarment systems (silk under polypropylene under polypropylene/wool blend or military surplus ECWS). These fit well and aren't bulky. They aren't overpriced like some of the hunter/sports specific products.

I wear mine under an old Polar Fleece outfit for foul weather and I stay as dry as I do in my Gore-Tex rain gear.

This way, you don't have to buy several different outfits for warm or cold weather hunting.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, for undergarments look at Medallist Silvermax (hard time finding) or Xscent. I lost a lot of weight in the last 18 mos and ending up buying whatever I could find on clearance for overgarments (anything that will break the outline for camo) and couldn't find much from Medallist so went with a couple of pairs of the Xscent stuff for $80. I'm holding out a little longer to buy anything else since I'm still losing weight and hopefully the post-Christmas clearances will be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.