Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scent Free Wash Question

Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

People can bash everything and say its a waste of money. I don't use the carbon clothing but use a scent free product and it is amazing NEVER getting winded...
Old 09-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

I wash my clothes in the scent free stuff but mainly cause I read somewhere it doesnt fade them as much. That could be false also. the last deer I killed with my bow I was sitting on the ground wearing shorts and t-shirt. I'm mainly try to watch my movement on stand when a deer is close. good luck.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Spike

Backpack, hats, pants, socks, shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, beltpacks, base layers. That's all I put in there haha.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by golfpro261
I don't use the carbon clothing but use a scent free product and it is amazing NEVER getting winded...
How do you know?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:00 AM
Spike

I dont know what all the stink is about scent proofing your clothes. I wash my hunting clothing in the same detergent my wife does all our clothes in. I have ground / stand hunted 24 yrs and have killed deer 22 yrs both bow / gun seasons with out any problems. Do you really think deer care about what new smells are in the woods. My opinion is it's just another way companies get to make more money on selling products to the public.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm retired

I wash all my clothes in homemade scent free wash. The boxes of washing soda and borax are sitting by the washing machine. Most people use too much detergent, as I often get the sickening sweet scents on park walks.

Wash woolens. Just make sure you don't use a dryer. They can shrink. Dry outside or over the bath tub.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever, critters don't wind me when I'm hunting, believe that you can't beat an animals nose and you never will.

I also live in the woods so all my gear is either scented in the woods or washed scent free and stored so it can't pick up any scent till I take it out of it's own zip bag and touch it.

As far as the process goes I get the impression that some guys must stink to high heaven because being scent free is just washing your clothes and body, something some seem to find to arduous.

My packs are all hung outside out of the weather all year, my boots spend some time there too along with my stands, quiver and bow. Even my bow case hangs outside all year, but remember I don't live in town. My 4 wheeler is out getting everything I touch scented by ole Mr. Woods.

If and when I have a scent situation I always use Hawg's vanishing hunter, I always spary my hands (washed with baking soda first, after I rest from the strain of doing it ) before touching anything, Even my mouth is sprayed wit the stuff (safe to do so), but again I have to rest after lifting the bottle to my mouth and pumping the sprayer.

You can wash smart or not, or not at all for some. I've ended up in the same area with the not crowd, them deer were on high alert..................... right to me.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Tundra10
How do you know?
I do use carbon clothing and I know whatever I do does work. I've beaten doe's noses before that were deliberatly looking for me. I've been in a tree on a hill side and had does that were looking for me where they heard me down the slope stand not 20 yards away at eye level looking right at me but past me with the wind blowning right in thier face. They knew I was down there some where. Had bucks come back the same way and not show the least bit of alarm.

Critter often think I'm just something to jump on or over and often only show alarm when I stick an arrow in their face and often don't believe what their seeing and try to continue.

I know my old hounds ways, I could tell he was perplexed when he'd try and sniff me up tugging with all his might at the end of a chain to get on me. He'd cock his head and look troubled when I'd command him to calm down.

Birds sit on my head.

My only problem as I understand it is bugs, they pick something up, what I don't know, maybe just heat.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by schickster
My opinion is it's just another way companies get to make more money on selling products to the public.
Agree. I'm working on an odor eliminating product to add to the established products to take make their odorless scent more odorless.

Last edited by Tundra10; 09-29-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Typical Buck

There has been a great deal of talk over the years of what to do play the wind or use scent free items. Yes I know if you bought everything on the market to stay scent free you would have to almost have a 2nd job. There is a new video coming out later this year on next not for sure that deals with simple scent controll. I was able to get a look at it cause a friend works with the company that is producing the DVD. The host talks about scent and how to reduce it. He advised to wash clothes in baking soda but one thing to remember was to make sure the washer was clean of scented detergeent. One thing that cought my eye was when he advised to wash towels you dry off with baking soda also. This DVD also shows how to make home made scent free spray. I made the home brew scent free spray and changed a couple of things and it worked. A week ago I hunted and had 5 does and a spike come within less then 20 yards of me. The big thing was the bobcat that I watched walk under my stand and use the trail I came in on. It set at the edge of the field right where I had came into the woods. I feel you need to stay scent free as much as you can and play the wind that changes at the drop of a hat.

Last edited by RJPOUTDOORS; 09-30-2012 at 03:53 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.