Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Light weight rain gear

Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Light weight rain gear

Looking for recommendation for light weight, breathable rain gear for use during light to moderate rain. Prefer something that is cammo, must quiet and would like it to pack easily. Cash not an issue. My "old" stuff is now a sieve !!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Look at Cabela's MT50 - I bought a set in 1996 and still use it. The Jacket packs into its vest pocket and the pants pack into it back pocket.

I have it in Mossy Oak Break up and I know Cabelas still sells MT50 Goretex rainware.

I wear the pants while grouse hunting on wet days and have beat them up pretty good.
JW
Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Spike

I am gonna assume that since you want it packable, you want this for some sort of backcountry hunt. Which means there is going to be a good deal of physical activity. If so, I would go with Helly Hansen Impertec, it is non-breathable, but I have found that the windbrake it provides combined with good synthetic clothing underneath, I stay warm even when I am wet. My opinion is there is no such thing as good rain gear. I have tried many different types and I ended up wet no matter what I got. If I had breathable, eventually the water soaked in. If I got non-breathable, I sweated my behind off.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cabela's MT050 +1

The best IMO

http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Clot...s%3Bprd1224695

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-14-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Spike

I've always used Frog Togz and like them alot... they are very easy to carry to the stand and work quite well.. plus they are cheap which is always a positive!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

i havent hunted in frogg toggs yet but i have a set for hunting. I have ridden motorcycles with them and they do a good job, pack away easy, breath well and like jmp said theyre cheap.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have pretty good luck with Gamehide. I basically use them only for spring turkey here in WV and VA. I did have a jacket to leak and Gamehide replaced it with no hassle at all.

Jim
Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Frog Togz again, they are also very quiet! I have been known to wear mine bow hunting even when its not raining
Old 09-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Frogg Toggs work great, but they will rip if you are walking thru dense cover. It's basically Ty Vek home wrap.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by semi
Frogg Toggs work great, but they will rip if you are walking thru dense cover. It's basically Ty Vek home wrap.
I have a set of Frogg Toggs that ripped in the inseam while climbing. I duct taped them back together and they work fine. I lost a lot of weight so I may be looking for some new bottoms however. Of course, if we don't get rain in Texas, I won't really need them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.