Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

300 Mag Recoil

Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Spike

At the range, I use a shoulder pad that fits thru my shooting arm and wraps to my chest with velcro. Fairly cheap.

In hunting situations, I've never felt the recoil from my .300 Win Mag.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sims offer what appears to be a more cushy feel butachmyars are as good and last longer. I replaced our 2 sims after only a few years of regular use. I have pachs that are 15 years old and dang near as good as the day I installed them.

If you buy sims make sure not to get any gun products on them be it oil or cleaner one of mine got tacky after a buddy didn't drape the butt in a rag before cleaning a rifle he borrowed for his mrs's. Needless to say my wife was PO'd(yep her rifle, well she claimed it!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I believe that the best option for reducing recoil in a 300 mag is to sell it and get a 30-06!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Spike

Another thing you might consider is having your rifle Mag-Na-Ported or have a Magna Brake installed. There are other brands but, this is the only one I have any experience with. $150.00 to $250.00 will reduce your felt recoil from 15% to 50%. Just depends on gow deep your pockets are.

If you happen to screw up a stock when installing a new recoil pad, the porting seems pretty cheap.