HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Need Rifle/Shotgun Advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/345260-need-rifle-shotgun-advice.html)

Newbie76 06-01-2011 06:18 AM

Need Rifle/Shotgun Advice

I have never hunted before and want to get started. What do people recomment to get started? A shotgun? Rifle? What is the easiest animal to start with?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

K

halfbakedi420 06-01-2011 06:49 AM

in washington im sure there will be a minimal cal. probably a 243 is minimal.
what do you plan on hunting?
ever shot a gun before?
how old are ya?
disabled?
hunting with anyone else?

GRIZZLYMAN 06-01-2011 08:46 AM

Small game is good to start with. Most of us started with small game. I started with squirrel when I was five or six. A .22 rifle or a 20 gauge shotgun would be a good starter.

If I was you, I would find a mentor, determine what you want to hunt, and then find out the game regs in your state for seasons, bag limits, and in some cases weapons restrictions. If you have problems finding a mentor, you might inquire to your state's wildlife agency to see if they have a program.

Mojotex 06-01-2011 09:30 AM

Grizz makes good points. Safety is a bgd issue always, and learning from an experienced woodsman should get you off to a good start.

As far as game to begin with. Small game is where I started ... squirrels and rabbits.

If you have the $$$ ... buy 1-shotgun for small game and birds , and 1-rifle for medium game such as deer.

Shotgun ? - I'd recommend a good quality pump in 20 ga. Using proper ammo, good to go for game frome squirrels to ducks to turkey. Most come with a set of choke tubes. I like the Browing BPS.

Rifle ? - Hard to beat the 30.06 Spr. for an all around cartridge. Plenty of quality models to choose from. A good one that is simple and reliable, is the Ruger Model 77. But there are many more great choices in center fire. If you need a scope .... medium priced, and a good value is the Bushnell Elite series.

If you are not planning on hunting medium game any time soon, a quality bolt action 22 LR is a great starter rifle. Marlin and Savage make nice bolt actions in 22 LR.

Newbie76 06-01-2011 07:05 PM

I think I agree that I will start with small game. I am 35 and I have shot a revolver before. I am not disabled and will probably hunt alone....or if I find a mentor like was suggested......

Sheridan 06-01-2011 07:34 PM

First thing is to take a hunter safety course.

Not only will you learn a whole heck of a lot, but you will meet other like minded people to befriend.

Buy a .22 Long Rifle (LR) bolt action rifle (Marlin) and a 12 gauge shotgun (Remington 870).

Now you are ready to begin........................SAFETY FIRST (always) !!!

Rebel Hog 06-02-2011 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3813429)
First thing is to take a hunter safety course.

Not only will you learn a whole heck of a lot, but you will meet other like minded people to befriend.

Buy a .22 Long Rifle (LR) bolt action rifle (Marlin) and a 12 gauge shotgun (Remington 870).

Now you are ready to begin........................SAFETY FIRST (always) !!!

Good advice!.....