Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV Disc for food plots?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default ATV Disc for food plots?

Any disc recommendation for food plots?

Have some grassy fields I'd like to plat a plot or two in, the dirt under the grass is so hard though.

I figure I could spray some weed killer, then try to disc it, but will a disc even break hard ground? ideas/suggestions?

Wish these discs were cheaper, saw the king kutter, and this cheapo... but would it even do anything?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=775707

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Any disc recommendation for food plots?

Have some grassy fields I'd like to plat a plot or two in, the dirt under the grass is so hard though.

I figure I could spray some weed killer, then try to disc it, but will a disc even break hard ground? ideas/suggestions?

Wish these discs were cheaper, saw the king kutter, and this cheapo... but would it even do anything?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=775707

Thanks.
You can make something yourself a lot cheaper than that, to use only once or twice. [2x4's and spikes].
Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

If it is a smaller area, check out this one. http://groundhogmax.com/Home.aspx It works well, even ripped up some sod and corn stalks for me. I would recommend a drag afterwards though, it can leave the ground rough.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not had a good experience with any ATV pull behind disc. I tried two different models that belonged to others, but forget the brands. One was a wheeled, flip over design. Both were far too light weight to actually break the ground.

Even after bush hogging, killing with glycophase (Round Up) and burning off the chaff. Just would not do much more than scratch the surface ... 2"-3" deep max .... even after several passes. Had them weighted with a 80# block of concrete. And beat my poor ATV (Polaris Sportsman 700) to death bouncing around. Also be aware that a weighted down disc bouncing all over the place even at very low speed puts a heck of a strain on an ATV transmission.

I would suggest mowing then spraying with glycophase. Generics such as Eraser do just fine and are less expensive. After the field is dead, hire a local farmer to disc your fields. Maybe once broken up good, you could keep them maintained with a light weight ATV disc.

If the plots are not all that big, might work them with a rented rear tine tiller. Have had to do that in the past, but man that is some kind of time consuming and impractical process for plots larger than say 1/3 acre.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Spike

I second the Groundhog Max. It's awesome! Small or large it will get it done. My plot is a bout a half of acre and I can have it done in 30 minutes. The more passes with it the finer your dirt will be.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT, it's what busts/pulverizes ground. Even most 3pt discs pulled behind 25-40hp tractors won't really dig in and bust the earth wide open so you can't expect a 300# gang behind a atv to stand much of a chance. Were it me, before I ruined a good atv drivetrain I'd come up with a 25-30hp garden tractor with good tires and use those implements with as much weight stacked atop it as I could get and even then you gotta take it easy and make multiple passes.

Best scenario is pay a farmer or bud with the proper equipment either fuel or beer money and let them bust the ground open for you on one single pass. Then you can probably sufficiently work it with any of the implements we're talking about!

HL
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Spike

I dont know the rules where you live, but in Ga. I get the forestry dept. to plow firebreaks around my property and I plant them.Once the ground has been broken a 4 wheeler with garden harrows with some weight put on them will work for you.
You will have to get rid of the grass before you do anything . Try some LAB LAB, the deer went crazy over it.