Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Newbie!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Newbie!

Dating a man who is obsessed with hunting and camping! I don't know the first thing - help! How do I not look like I have NO idea what I'm doing?

Thanks!
Annie S.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best advice I can offer is to understand that hunters are conservationist; and no one loves animals more.

Pick up some camo gear & a pair of good boots and ask to tag a long...................that will go a long way !!!

I know no one that's born with that knowledge.

Don't forget to bring your camera.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Spike

Default Proper Gear

Thanks for the advice! I did what you said and mentioned I wanted to see what it was all about and he's already planning a trip! I also wanted to buy him something cool for letting me tag along. Any suggestions for the latest gadget?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Try your library (or Amazon.com) for books on "hunting basics" or "fishing basics". But truthfully, you cannot take a crash course and be up to speed with someone that has done this his whole life. Confess to him that you are new at this but are willing to learn.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Just like MZS said, "... you cannot take a crash course and be up to speed with someone that has done this his whole life..." But the main part of hunting & camping comes naturally; A love for the outdoors; Everything else is figured out over time.

Good Luck! Its awesome you are so willing to jump into this!

-South
Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Spike

Thanks, everyone!

He definitely knows I'm new at this (just bought my first pair of boots), but I definitely don't want to seem girly and fragile. I'll try anything and can rough it with the best of 'em.

I was thinking of buying him a new tent for his birthday and don't know the first thing. Any favorites?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

What "kind" of trip is he planning ?

Make sure to break in those boots you brought before you head out with him on your first outting (in the woods anyway - LOL).
Old 05-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Go to www.bloodtrials.net and in the gear thread there is Tips,Tactics & Gear. Each month they have a outdoor tip, hunting tactic and a review on a peice of gear. You can join the site for free.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Spike

We're taking a road trip from California to Texas... I've camped and fished, but the hunting aspect is new and let's just say my camping experiences have had a few comforts, so not the nitty gritty. I want to pick up a few gear items that make me hold my own a bit, and want to be supportive of his interests. I also know we're going fly fishing, so would it behoove me to show up with my own waders? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=288926
Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 AM
JW
Super Moderator

The waders are nice as those are stocking foot and you need a set of wading shoes. I'd ask my host if I needed waders and if so also look at booted waders.

Each has their own place but I opt more for booted waders than stocking foot types.

Cabelas has womens waders too. You might also try Rogers Sporting goods on line.
JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.