Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

? on handheld GPS

Old 05-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Garmin etrex with spare batteries & a compass for a back up.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Here is the TOPO of Colorado that I use with my Garmin. Well worth the money.
http://www.abovethetimber.com/index....egory&Itemid=5
Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cajun, like the looks of those, and for $49.95 doesn't seem like a bad price compared to some looked at. I decided to go with the Garmin GPS Map60CSx. It was listed in Cabelas 2wks back on clearance for $199 from $430. By time I got home from work to make the call, it was sold out! But I've since purchased one through ebay for $229 w/free shipping. I figure got close to same deal w/shipping costs through Cabelas. I can't wait to get it!!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
Cajun, like the looks of those, and for $49.95 doesn't seem like a bad price compared to some looked at. I decided to go with the Garmin GPS Map60CSx. It was listed in Cabelas 2wks back on clearance for $199 from $430. By time I got home from work to make the call, it was sold out! But I've since purchased one through ebay for $229 w/free shipping. I figure got close to same deal w/shipping costs through Cabelas. I can't wait to get it!!

Nice! You can't go wrong with that unit. I believe Garmin has "discontined" that unit but makes the same thing under a different name. I would buy another one in a heart beat. I like the map, it is accurate and the roads seem to be true. I upload my way points to the free software that comes with the GPS then "view in Google Earth".
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use a DeLorme Earthmate which is complete with the DeLorme Topo maps as well.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Spike

I really like my Garmin too! Try your luck searching around the Safari Club Marketplace, really cool site. I just looked and it has GPS listings: http://thesafarimarketplace.com/resu...ategory_id=500
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Spike

I have been using the Garmin Oregon 550t. It is one of the best Garmin mid priced range.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Great Choice Buckalley. You won't regret it! The 60 was considered the Gold Standard for many years and Garmin walked away from it with the Oregons etc... If you have noticed they came back a couple of years ago with the 62 which is very similar to the 60. We could talk for pages on the pros and cons of different models but most reviews come back with the Garmin 60 series and the Delorme units topping the list. Both are hard to beat for Sat lock in dense cover or deep valleys which is what it all comes down to for hunters. No signal no GPS. The only thing your 60 will not have a Delorme would is aerial shots, no question nice to have but they come with a cost, battery life.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

The DeLorme PN-60 has a lot of great features even satilite texting as well as NOAA maps available..

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...?section=10460
Old 09-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Spike

I just found out about the astro series! If you got one of those you could get the collar later and track your doggie! Or you could get it with the collar. I'm going to get one soon, plus 2 collars. They are kind of expensive but it would be cool to see where my dogs go on sat images.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.