Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

? on handheld GPS

Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ? on handheld GPS

Never owned one, know little about them. Wanting to buy one, and been looking at, searching for info. I see some are mapping, and non-mapping. Little confused on this, and all I can gather thus far is it means when gps is tracking your movements it won't be displayed on a map background. Now does this mean you cannot load any topo maps at all into the Gps unit? Also does this mean you won't be able to download your movements onto a computer map?.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Spike

You should be able to download and install topo maps. As for the brand reviews and specific feature you might what to check out www.geocaching.com It's not a hunting site but since GPS figure so prominatly in the activity you can find a lot of useful information.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

I really like my Garmin GPS Map 60. Does everything I need it to do in the woods. You can get a topo or street map for it. If you get one, learn how to use it. A lot of guys buy one then don't get the most out of it because they don't learn how to use it.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Spike

I use a Garmin etrex Vista HCX and absolutely love it. I would definitely buy a mapping GPS. The difference between a mapping and non-mapping GPS is whether Topo maps can be loaded to it. A non-mapping GPS will have fewer options and most likely a trail or compass background.

I would also recommend getting a gps with an altimeter; at least its very useful for me in Colorado. I've found my altimeter to be very accurate and its a great help with documenting your scouting activities and where you are and aren't seeing the game. Another big plus is the WAAS receiver which receives the satellite signals and ground station information to give you the most accurate positioning.

My dog just cracked my display screen on my Vista HCX and it was well past its warranty. I called up Garmin and they are sending me a new unit for $89. Thats a pretty good deal considering its a $250 gps.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
Never owned one, know little about them. Wanting to buy one, and been looking at, searching for info. I see some are mapping, and non-mapping. Little confused on this, and all I can gather thus far is it means when gps is tracking your movements it won't be displayed on a map background. Now does this mean you cannot load any topo maps at all into the Gps unit? Also does this mean you won't be able to download your movements onto a computer map?.

I purchased a Garmin ETrex this past year and used it quite a bit. I paid $89 for it new, shipped to my door. It is a bare bones model that can't load maps and it does not have an altimeter. What I did was mark prospective stand sites, scrapes, and rubs and was able to come right back to them without any problems.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been looking at the Garmin GPS map60Cxs on different sites. I really want use of a sd card slot as well. I would definitly be putting it to good use. In past I've hunted in Colorado archery seasons with a outfitter, and now I'm moving up to DIY hunts starting this fall in a totally new area. So I want to mark my location, routes, and favorite spots find for the future. I also want to use it here in NY to keep track of buck sign in my area. I've kept logs over the yrs. and would like to add this to my findings.

Last edited by BuckAlley; 04-27-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Spike

Default Sightmark GPS

Sightmark makes a SurePath 4Point GPS with a digital compass and digital thermometer for up to date weather conditions. It can register four different location points allowing you to determine straight-line distances between current position and marked points. It also allows you to mark your favorite scenic positions.

http://sightmark.com/index.php?main_...products_id=71

Hope this helps
Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Spike

As you can see, and I will concur Garmin is the way to go regardless what you decide!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm too cheap to spend the money they want.

Compass and maps has been working fine so far.

I say this, because i'm not lost in the mountains right now.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Garmin etrex vista loaded with topo maps. having maps makes it about 100% better and easier to use. I can see a sag on a mountaintop and put the pointer on it and nav right to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.