HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Treestand Safety Harness (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/340601-treestand-safety-harness.html)

croc2116 02-21-2011 04:49 AM

Treestand Safety Harness

I would like to buy a HSS harness but cant afford it right now. I have the comfort zone treestand with harness but it is a mess to use and didnt come with instructions. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions or have found one better then what comes with the treestands, but not as expensive as the $100 HSS harness?

Thanks

croc2116

Rebel Hog 02-21-2011 06:14 AM

Listen to this Doctor about safety harnesses......
Rescue One CDS
View My Video

JW 02-21-2011 07:19 AM

Interesting as I teach Hunter Education and do quite a bit on the 3 types of Safety Harnesses one can see out there!

Oh and I hear you about cost ~ but what is your life worth? Might be money well spent and I always am one - You pay for what you get! Buy a cheap one that may last a few seasons or pay more for one that lasts twice that and then look at the cost.

JW

SJAdventures 02-22-2011 05:01 PM

I bought the "Big Game EZ ON" safety vest and like it. Depending on what size you need you can buy them very reasonable on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Big-Game-EZ-...23675721201186

Mojotex 02-24-2011 08:35 AM

Ameristep and Gorilla offer a safety harness that is priced under $20. These are a bare-bones, but 100% functional harnesses that will do the job should you fall.

Valentine 02-27-2011 05:07 PM

Safety Harnesses are for Law Suit Protection

Most hunters, are unfortunately, too out of shape. And the manufacturers know it. Fellows are just about going to spend anything, and still climb trees to hunt.

With the cost of harnesses today, I think I'll take up sky diving.

Mojotex 03-02-2011 06:14 PM

I must be missing something .... I don't follow "Valentine's" logic. And I am not trying to be argumentative, but. I agree, a bunch of us are sorely out of shape. Me included. But how does that = do not need a safety harness? Firsthand examples ... One of my best friends, J. Underwood, who is a health nut, gym hog , running fool. Not an ounce of fat on him ... 6' and maybe 170#. Former scholarship baseball player. Two seasons ago he was up in a tree, in his climber and lost his balance after being hit by a falling limb that he was trying to dislodge, and was knocked out backwards. He fell "only" about 15'. He was not using a harness. He had one !!! He suffered a double compound fracture of his lower right leg, a severely dislocated right ankle, 4 broken ribs and a severely bruised shoulder. He was lucky to have tumbled into a brush pile or it could have been worse. Had he been using his harness, he would have been whacked by the limb all right, but never hit the ground. My younger brother at age 27, who was a stud at the time ... 5'8", 185# of rock hard muscle, with shoulders and neck like an NFL linebacker ... fell about 10' from a cheaply made wooden ladder that collapsed due to a rotten ladder leg , and rolled down a 45' steep bank. He shattered #3 vertebrae! Was in a halo for months and has never recovered fully. Doc said that it is a miracle that he was not paralyzed from the shoulders down. Ironically I had given him a full body harness that very Christmas. It was still in the bag. So, tell me again that if one is in shape ... no need for a harness ????

VAhuntr 03-06-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mojotex (Post 3781116)
I must be missing something .... I don't follow "Valentine's" logic. And I am not trying to be argumentative, but. I agree, a bunch of us are sorely out of shape. Me included. But how does that = do not need a safety harness? Firsthand examples ... One of my best friends, J. Underwood, who is a health nut, gym hog , running fool. Not an ounce of fat on him ... 6' and maybe 170#. Former scholarship baseball player. Two seasons ago he was up in a tree, in his climber and lost his balance after being hit by a falling limb that he was trying to dislodge, and was knocked out backwards. He fell "only" about 15'. He was not using a harness. He had one !!! He suffered a double compound fracture of his lower right leg, a severely dislocated right ankle, 4 broken ribs and a severely bruised shoulder. He was lucky to have tumbled into a brush pile or it could have been worse. Had he been using his harness, he would have been whacked by the limb all right, but never hit the ground. My younger brother at age 27, who was a stud at the time ... 5'8", 185# of rock hard muscle, with shoulders and neck like an NFL linebacker ... fell about 10' from a cheaply made wooden ladder that collapsed due to a rotten ladder leg , and rolled down a 45' steep bank. He shattered #3 vertebrae! Was in a halo for months and has never recovered fully. Doc said that it is a miracle that he was not paralyzed from the shoulders down. Ironically I had given him a full body harness that very Christmas. It was still in the bag. So, tell me again that if one is in shape ... no need for a harness ????

You bring up an excellent point. I had the seat portion of my climber slip and fall with me sitting in it this year. Fortunately my butt landed on the back of my legs and I was able to simply stand up. It scared the crap out of me and made me wonder what I'd do in the case of a fall.

Another thing to ponder: If the harness is not attached to the tree at the right height you will far too far below your stand. If this is the case you may be in great shape but still not be able to get yourself back in the stand.

Mojotex 03-07-2011 06:40 PM

100% correct that the harness needs to be attached to the tree at the proper height. No "product dog" in this hunt ... but the HSS that I bought a few years back came with an easy to follow instruction how this is done. If set too low, when you'd reach the "end" of that strap, I imaging the snap action would be rather difficult to enjoy .... that of itself might send one to the Alto section.

sproulman 03-15-2011 05:23 PM

i have summit harness that came with my 180 max.i like it after i marked where the straps go.
many on here will give you theirs as they went to those 100 dollar harnesses.

you pay for shipping, i bet you will get lots of us they will give you one.
start post over on classifieds, i bet many will give you a summit harness for nothing if you pay shipping.