Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Good hunting radios...

Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Spike

Default Good hunting radios...

Hi. I take guys in the woods and put them on stands. I hear a shot from time to time and wonder when/if I should go get them and help them with a deer, or if they miss and I come up I don't want to mess them up on another deer. Are there some good 2-way radio systems for 3-4 people that you folks like? My guys are always within a 5 mile radius, but I need more than 2 handsets.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Spike

My family uses the Midland GXT 1000 two ways, $ 80 a pair at Cabela's,. Even though your guys are within 5 miles, handheld radio need all the power you can get, radio signals don't do well in heavily forested areas, steep hills, you know, where we hunt. These units have a 36 mile range, 50 chanels and 285 privacy codes.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Midla...&WTz_l=Unknown
Old 02-27-2011, 03:29 AM
Spike

I've used the midlands for years now with my wife and kids and they have worked great. What we do is keep them off till we hear a shot then go to channel 8 and just ask if someone got one and if they need help in tracking or dragging out, sure saves time running the woods after a shot.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5
My family uses the Midland GXT 1000 two ways, $ 80 a pair at Cabela's,. Even though your guys are within 5 miles, handheld radio need all the power you can get, radio signals don't do well in heavily forested areas, steep hills, you know, where we hunt. These units have a 36 mile range, 50 chanels and 285 privacy codes.
I'm checking them out. Thanks.

Originally Posted by deerman69
I've used the midlands for years now with my wife and kids and they have worked great. What we do is keep them off till we hear a shot then go to channel 8 and just ask if someone got one and if they need help in tracking or dragging out, sure saves time running the woods after a shot.
That is what I plan on using them for.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 AM
Spike

Can you buy 2 sets and use all 4 units at once on the same channel?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

There was a thread on this subject back in November or December. You will find out that those 30+ mile radios may only get you 1/2 mile in the woods depending on how thick the cover is and how hilly the terrain is. Some are better than others, but I've never seen any regular 2-ways that would go 5 miles. I have a set of Motorola MH230R that are supposed to be 23 mile range, but get me about 1/2 mile in the woods. They are the best ones that I have used up to this point, and the last ones I had were twice that price. That's good enough for most of the places I hunt. Further than that and we just use cell phones and text (if we get a signal). Mine were less than $40 I think and you can buy multiple sets and put them on the same frequency.

rw
Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Spike

Yes you can use all four on the same channel at one time. You can even use different brands at the same time as long as you are all on the same channel. Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by deerman69
Yes you can use all four on the same channel at one time. You can even use different brands at the same time as long as you are all on the same channel. Hope this helps.
It does. A lot!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

if the range and woods are too dense and cant quite get a signal,
can try using handheld CB radios,
you can have a base station with better antenae at home , or in your vehicle, even on an ATV.
if stands are permanent, can also try attaching an external antenae and keeping it at the stands,
when they get to the stand, they just plug in ext antenae and have increased range,
most decent hand helds can reach 5 miles pretty easily nowadays,
Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I have used several brands here in the hills of WV and none are that good in our terrain. Personally, I prefer a cell phone for exactly your needs.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.