Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Layering and Bathing

Old 01-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Spike

Default Layering and Bathing

I will be doing a one week elk hunt that I can pack on 50 pounds on my horse. The weather in the mountains can vary from 20 to 60 but will probably be 30 to 45 degrees. Each day I will be doing some horseback riding and walking. My plan is to layer my clothes and bath at night using some type of wet wipe.

For the layering I will probably wear a wicking type under shirt with a wool shirt over that and than my coat. For the bottom half of my body I thought about wearing a spandex type biking short under my long underwear. I will try to change my biking short and my undershirt each day but may wear the next layer several days.

What are your thoughts and if you've done something like this before what has worked for you? Also wondering the best way to keep clean as I anticipate I will be doing a lot of sweating each day.

Thank you.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

whatever soap/wipe your using make sure it is unscented,
as you wont be able to rinse it off,
top sounds fine, sythetic against the skin, warmth layer, then shell,
bottom?
not sure if pure spandex will breath, may need a spandex blend,
usually legs rarely get cold, especially when walking
30-40 is actually nice weather, other than good pants/boots/socks probably dont need anything like biker shorts like you described
Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Spike

Default Spandex

I guess the real name on those shorts are "compression" shorts. I thought they were made of Spandex but can't swear to it. I thought they wicked moisture but not for sure.

I will also be riding a horse quite a bit. Last year I went horse riding (first time in 20 years) and I thought it was going to kill me. The inside of my legs and my knees got very sore. I thought the biker shorts would at last help with everything but the knees but don't know for sure.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Spike

we go in every year temps are pretty much the same. i like to wear under armour medium wiegth long underwear and blue jeans with same type of top for under garment and a loose long sleeve camo shirt and my wool windblocker sweater. i carry a waterproof slicker on my saddle and wear a hunting jacket.which i can take off any time and strap to saddle or put in backpack. socks and underwear get change daily. i also carry a shower bag it dont weigh hardly anything maybe a pound hang it in tree heat water on the fire and take a shower this makes big difference on how i feel especially on my head.i carry bio soap unscented u can pick up anywhere so it doesnt hurt the streams. i dont know for sure but have read and been told by bioligist normal soaps and shampoo can kill native fish in the streams.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Double Droptine
I will be doing a one week elk hunt that I can pack on 50 pounds on my horse. The weather in the mountains can vary from 20 to 60 but will probably be 30 to 45 degrees. Each day I will be doing some horseback riding and walking. My plan is to layer my clothes and bath at night using some type of wet wipe.

For the layering I will probably wear a wicking type under shirt with a wool shirt over that and than my coat. For the bottom half of my body I thought about wearing a spandex type biking short under my long underwear. I will try to change my biking short and my undershirt each day but may wear the next layer several days.

What are your thoughts and if you've done something like this before what has worked for you? Also wondering the best way to keep clean as I anticipate I will be doing a lot of sweating each day.

Thank you.

for your lower base layer, use cotton... way more comfortable. but i just wear normal clothes and put a lightweight Mt050 bibs on over it and a light jacket. i'm good from 25-75 degrees. i wear under armour t-shirts, and i can usually go for a week on horseback, without major skankiness setting in.

bring some wet wipes, and wipe down good every other day with those and some water and you'll be good as new.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Spike

Sounds as if you covered about every thing to say on this subgect, Good Luck to you.