Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cold weather hunting clothes

Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Spike

Default Cold weather hunting clothes

Im looking at getting some good hunting clothes. I was wondering would you rather buy clothes for the coldest weather you are going to hunt in and then just wear less in the warmer weather. Trying to do this the cheapest way possible and not have to much rapped up in hunting clothes.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:28 AM
Typical Buck

I got all new hunting clothes this year. I had been using army pants and field jacket for over 15 years. I got an insulated fleece on clearance from Bass Pro last spring. That thing is great down to about 40 degrees. Just before this season I got an Arctic Shield H3 coat from Bass Pro and really like it. It isn't real thick but is very warm. They claim it is the warmest for the amount of insulation it has. I can use it with or without a fleece under it. When it gets really cold, I use insualted bibs I got a couple seasons ago. So with just three pieces of outer wear, I can hunt in almost any temperature. Total investment is about $250. Well worth it.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Wool...You can get pants for under a hundred and a good jack shirt (wool also) for around $60. Smart wool longjohns and you can layer more shirts so it can be removed as it gets warmer during the day. Cotton kills thats a fact so don't even think about it.
Several companies make wool pants:
Woolrich
Johnsons (vermont)
Bid wool overalls are nice but they get real warm.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Spike

thanks for the answers ill keep them in mind for when i decide to spend the $$
Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since you are trying to do this on the cheap, I would look at trying to buy some clothes used. For example, you can buy M-51 Army Surplus wool trousers for around $25. These are medium weight wool trousers, hold up to abuse, and are quite warm. Likewise, look to buy a Pendleton Wool shirt on-line used for about $25. Buy some good synthetic wicking fabric long underwear bottoms and tops to go under these things. You may be able to find some sort of polyester fiber-filled vest or parka at the Salvation Army or Good Will for cheap. This polyester (or other synthetic) retains much of its warmth even when wet, unlike goose down which has little insulative value when wet. Wool, too, keeps much of its warmth values when wet. Furthermore, wool is pretty silent in the woods. These are important considerations in hunting garments.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Spike

i like my rocky silent hunter insulated fleece. super warm, completely silent, and very comfortable. Hunted in 10 degree weather and didnt get a bit cold. realtree ap camo patern blends well too. I wanted the dream season pro pants and jacket but cant bring myslef to spend that kind of $$$$.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

goto sportsmans guide, they got close outs on nice scent free under layers and also good deals on outer layers as well. I move around alot when i hunt so i usually get hot, also im in va so it doesnt get crazy cold here to begin with. I think layers are the way to go.....thermal underlayer, then hunting shirts and pants, or shirt and bibs and a coat, with decent boots like mucks. If youre cold with that set up....its colddddddddddd outside. Also try to catch dicks sporting goods next year after christmas, they had some unreal closeout deals, i bought almost $400 worth of hunting clothes for 150$.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Cheapest way is Army Surplus store!
Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Layers, wicking next to skin, loft, and windproof outer. Your "Loft" layer can be increased or decreased according to temp. I use Acclimate wicking, fleece for loft and a Walls jacket and bibs for outer. Have deer hunted in -11 degree temps with wind, wasn't toasty warm but was able to stay out!