HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Stolen Property in the Woods (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/335142-stolen-property-woods.html)

Valentine 11-28-2010 07:40 AM

Stolen Property in the Woods

It still amazes me how people continue to get property stolen in the woods, and ask WHY.

Here is one example, rather surprising to me, in a another hunting web site.

"Life time stuff stolen from me in the woods 3 cudde no flashes 2 moultrie cameras for a total of 5 cameras. At Least 20 hang on stands and 10 climbing sticks and countless tree steps. Thousands and thousands of dollars worth of hunting equipment."

I certainly do not approve of stolen property. But I certainly was glad I was educated, as I was, at a very early age. I was shown the local county jail and advised that many people lived there full time. Never had to tell me twice on the importance of avoiding, as best you can, some people.

VAhuntr 11-28-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Valentine (Post 3730138)
It still amazes me how people continue to get property stolen in the woods, and ask WHY.

Here is one example, rather surprising to me, in a another hunting web site.

"Life time stuff stolen from me in the woods 3 cudde no flashes 2 moultrie cameras for a total of 5 cameras. At Least 20 hang on stands and 10 climbing sticks and countless tree steps. Thousands and thousands of dollars worth of hunting equipment."

I certainly do not approve of stolen property. But I certainly was glad I was educated, as I was, at a very early age. I was shown the local county jail and advised that many people lived there full time. Never had to tell me twice on the importance of avoiding, as best you can, some people.

You bring up a great point. We took tours of the county jail as kids and I remember some pretty rough inmates talking pretty nasty to us. It was certainly a place I decided that I did not want to visit again.

Now due to regulations and liability concerns, many jurisdictions will not give these "scared straight" tours anymore.

Dixon 11-28-2010 01:23 PM

It is a shame that they no longer want to do the scared straight tours.

Tasumin 11-30-2010 10:33 AM

Our county no longer does this either. They should. IT WORKS.

Paoutdoorsman 12-04-2010 08:55 AM

it's a shame to have your things stolen in the woods, but i know even on our property that is posted and not overly accessible, i still put a chain and lock around anything that is going to be left, like stands, cameras, etc...

finnbear 12-08-2010 09:46 AM

locks, doors, chains U name it mean nothing to the thievin tweakers of today...I mean who in their right mind would go into someones camp and rip it off, knowing full well that a person that is armed with a very large rifle could come back at any time!!!!
And be sides it's not your stuff, it's the tweakers stuff, they're entitled to it and your just holding on to it until they need it!!!!

Terasec 12-08-2010 10:11 AM

Next time you find a bargain online ebay/craigslist etc...
Think of all the stolen property.
And where that item may have come from.
That should answer why

marlin30/30_drabe 12-08-2010 11:14 AM

its sad how these guys who steal stands etc. sometimes call themselves sportsmen. pigs are what they are

sproulman 12-08-2010 12:13 PM

i know hunters that destroy your equipment if left in woods but dont steal it.
they just dont want you there and most have hunted that area for 50 yrs.

then you have ones that just go out to steal.

2 different people and 2 different ways of looking at things.

sproulman 12-08-2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe (Post 3736853)
its sad how these guys who steal stands etc. sometimes call themselves sportsmen. pigs are what they are

yes, ones that STEAL your stands usually are not any good.

the ones that DESTROY your stands are usually good people that just dont want you there.