Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Insulated Rubber Boots??

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM
Spike

Default Insulated Rubber Boots??

Any of you guys have recommendations on a good pair of rubber/knee high insulated boots? I have had several different brands and it seems they all only last one season and then the rubber cracks and the boots leak. Very disturbing when you spend over $100 in a pair of boots. I am looking for 1000g+ of insulation.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Muck boots.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lacrosse, of course.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...boots&x=11&y=9
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MNDan
Muck boots.
i was all for lacrosse but got muck fieldbazers instead and i am impressed. they are comfortable and keep your feet dry and warm. i would still buy lacrosse if i found a pair in my price range that fit my needs
Old 11-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Go with Muck Woody Max. They are about 150 bucks but worth it in my estimation. I have used LaCrosse for years and after buying my first pair of muck I am convinced they are far superior. They last better, are warmer, more comfortable, lighter and go on and off much easier. The only advantage to LacCrosse is price. They are cheaper by about 50 bucks.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info. I was looking at both Muck and Lacrosse as my top two choices. Has anyone had any issues puncturing holes in the Muck Neoprene at the top? That was my only concern with these as I go through a lot of brush and briars.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I usually don't have my pants on the inside of the mucks. That would be one disadvantage IMO on the Mucks. If you like to tuck the pants into the boot the tightness of the neoprene might make that uncomfortable. One of the reasons why they are so warm is they fit snuggly around your leg below the knee and keep everything warm not letting the warm air out. On the flip side I don't find that my feet sweat in them as bad as the LaCrosse for some reason. The area above the ankle on the mucks is far stiffer than the laCrosse. All the laCrosse failures usually come at that place where they bend with the stepping movement. The older LaCrosse seemed to last for years but the newer China made rubber always seem to crack where the boot bends. I have 5 pair of LaCrosse of various weights and uses and now 3 of them are cracked all in the same area in the front or on the side above the ankle. I tried the Cabelas brand rubber boot and got about 14 months of use and they cracked. Luckily they sent me a refund and that is when I tried the Mucks. I am on my second year with them and used them all hunting season last year and all winter ice fishing. They still are in great shape.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Spike

Thanks Champlain Islander, I tried on a pair of Mucks today and they were very comfortable. I think I am going to give them a try, I am sick of the rubber cracking after 12 months on the traditional rubber boots. I have also tried the Cabelas brand as well as the Columbia brand made by Itasca Boot Company and they have both cracked just after a year of use.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using Burly' for years.They've held up very well but I only wear them while hunting or clearing snow out of the driveway.For those who have cracks in their rubber boots try some Shoe Goop.It will get another year or more use from them.With all the praise heaped on the Muck boots I think when the tome comes to replace the B's I'll try them.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default "they all only last one season"

I'll keep a lookout. My insulated rubber pair hasn't seen as much action as I would like the past two years.

I do have a pair of "reclaimed" uninsulated rubber boots, I work to near death around the yard and property. The fishing waders died, but the the cut-off rubber boots go on working in another life.

"one season"!!!!!!! That would kill the moths in my wallet.

Thanks for the warning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.