HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Blood Illumination Lights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/330466-blood-illumination-lights.html)

WI Bow Hunter 09-23-2010 04:03 PM

Blood Illumination Lights

Hiya,

I'm new around here, but a long time hunter. I recently wounded a deer bow hunting and after tracking for 3/4 of a mile, it occurred to me .... "this would be a lot easier with one of those tracking lights".

So now I'm on a mission, I want one of those tracking lights, but the problem is I don't know much about them. Does anyone have any experience with them? I've seen them online from $30 to $100 and I just want to know if anyone has any recommendations?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance and God Bless.

- Matt

sprintflyer 09-23-2010 10:49 PM

Not sure about those but a good 'ol Coleman lantern has served me well for bloodtrailing.

itsslow98 09-23-2010 11:30 PM

The blood lights, at least the primo one that my buddy bought at kmart didnt do a whole lot to show the blood. Its not worth the money IMO.

Shootem up870 09-26-2010 07:36 AM

ur best bet is to do as sprint flyer said and get a coleman lantern. they are by far the best way to track deer at nite. save ur money

Pat Curtis 09-26-2010 04:41 PM

My buddy has a blood tracking light. The one time I witnessed it in use I thought it worked amazingly well. I don't remember the brand though.

wyomingtrapper 09-29-2010 02:28 AM

I've friend with one and didn't observe that it helped. I noticed after one try that he never used it again. I'm not saying none of them are any good, just one ancecdotal observation...

A good light and a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide in a bottle will do the trick. Use the spray sparingly, but at those times when you can't find the next drop (or speck) of blood, mist the area. The hydrogen peroxide will foam up when contacting blood. Works as well during the day as well.

Ruger-Redhawk 09-29-2010 03:40 PM

I came up to a guy that had one at our club. He was looking for a deer using a so called Bloodlight. From what I saw of it it's about next to useless. I was planning on buying one until I saw it did nothing more then a flashlight would.

Krypt Keeper 09-30-2010 04:32 AM

I got a small LED flashlight I use to go to and from my stands. it has a blue lens that is suppose to help you blood trail.

only thing it does it make the blood stand out from the leaves and whatnot. But doesn't make it glow or anything like that. Worked good in the past tracking a deer for my buddy, however tried it again when it was starting to sprinkle and found that every rain drop would appear the same color at the blood.

I agree with what others said on the colman lantern. It just puts out so much light that you are actually lighting up an area and not just a small pin point area at a time.

buckwild41 09-30-2010 06:29 AM

There have been tons a reviews on the different blood tracking lights. 99% of them come back poor...

Consider this.. real life CSI folks (not TV) use "alternate light sources" on occasion to work crime scenes. Their lights are professional grade and run in the 5K range for a kit.. In the CSI field it is common knowledge than even the $5000.00 lights do poor to fair at best (except on TV).. When I asked about the "blood Tracker Lights" made for hunting they all laughted .....

Spend your money on a good lantern...

375LVR 10-04-2010 12:07 PM

I have a Gerber Carnivore and can tell you that it is good for nothing more than a flash light. I have tested it on a fresh blood trail (Deer already located) and basically it did nothing to enhance the blood trail.