Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Deer Stands as decoys(fake stand) >

Deer Stands as decoys(fake stand)

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Deer Stands as decoys(fake stand)

Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 AM
Spike

Default Deer Stands as decoys(fake stand)

Has anyone ever used or setup deer stands for sole purpose of using it as decoy(or a fake stand) this way the deer see it and not the one your actually going to be in. Ive taken an old deer stand and placed it along an old logging road that is fairly visable but is still camo'd up. There's a feeder about 20 yds away. I then put my lock-on on another tree opposite of this about 20 yds. I can hunt both stands if the wind alows but I mainly want the 1st stand to be used like a decoy or as a fake stand. Will this work?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

OK let me make sure I got this rite. You are saying the deer see an empty treestand and reason that, since it's empty it safe to hit the feeder? I guess if the stands are hunted alot and been there for ages it may work to a certain extent? Maybe? They are creatures of habit but anything is possible. Let us know if it works.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Seems like a lot of work

trying to fool a deer.

And if deer saw every tree stand, why would a hunter even go up in a tree stand.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Spike

Yep, Im trying to fool those deer. Its was just a thought. I'll let ya know here in a few weeks If it works.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have been thinking of doing that, I have a ladder stand with the camo skirt around it that the deer know is there, so I am thinking about using my climber on the other side of the same plot so if they start getting uneasy they run toward me not away from me (in theory)