Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
has anyone used the baby hoochie mamma elk call? >

has anyone used the baby hoochie mamma elk call?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

has anyone used the baby hoochie mamma elk call?

Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Spike

Default has anyone used the baby hoochie mamma elk call?

Im wondering if the baby hoochie mamma is a good calf call. and if they really do bring in the elk. i heard that if you make a good calf call, a cow will come running in. and im wondering if this is true and if the baby hoochie mamma can do this.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Spike

I bought the full sized hoochie mamma and it has 3 different settings for variations on the cow call(mew,lost cow, and estrus are the three different sounds the call can make). I have not had a chance to use mine yet however, I hear that they really do bring in the elk!

PS: the baby hoochie should bring in the cows but, like people different elk have different tastes so you might want to invest in the full sized hoochie and keep it on the mew setting if the baby hoochie does not work out for you.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the original hoochi mama and have used it successfully for the last 4 years in a row. They do work at least in Colorado where I hunt. I have used them to stop running elk and also to calm nervous elk when they were about to bust me. Last year I had about 8 cows and calves come running down the ridge and they scented me and turned around and ran away. I started calling right away and in about 20 seconds another pod of them came right down that same ridge and I got my bull. I could hear another bull bugling an answer further up the ridge. I see they are selling a combo kit now with the mini HM. I would get them both. I keep mine in the side pocket of my orange vest and can operate it right in the pocket so I can get at it real quickly. 2 years ago I was still hunting from the bottom of a steep canyon in about 8" of snow. I looked up at a rise above me about 200 yds away and spotted some legs and soon was able to pick out a cow and calf that were on alert. We stalemated for about 5 minutes and they were frozen looking down and I was hugging a small tree trying to glass for others. I figured what the heck and let a couple of soft mews out and to my surprise they started to move towards me. Soon the ridge was covered with about 15 elk and after about 5 minutes I could see my bull. I had them all around me and the wind was right so I just hugged the tree and hoped for a shot at the bull. I had a spike pretty close to me at the same level I was at and most of the rest were still above me. The bull has a couple of cows that were right with him and I couldn't get a clear shot. All of a sudden I heard a couple of barks and they all froze sensing something was wrong. I still didn't have the shot so I hit the hoochi once right through my vest and they all started to move again. I had one chance at the bull and took a neck shot but since he was about 50 yds I knew he was mine and he dropped like a stone. Last year my hunting buddy had a cow tag and we were driving up a private ranch road in about 16” of snow at 10,000 feet. The truck was plowing snow and we were getting stuck and decided we better turn around and get back lower where the snow was less deep. We rounded a bend in the road and there was a nice 6X6 with 4 cows and calves bedded along a stand of quakies. They bolted and my buddy jumped out of the truck and had to load up. I started hitting the hoochi mama repeatedly as fast as I could and they stopped which gave him time to take a 100 yd shot at a large cow and he got her. I think it is a great call and this year on the way out I’ll get the mini for my other vest pocket at a Cabelas.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-23-2010 at 04:02 AM.