Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
summit, api, gorilla or ol' man >

summit, api, gorilla or ol' man

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

summit, api, gorilla or ol' man

Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Spike

Default summit, api, gorilla or ol' man

i am in the market for a climbing stand. i have credit at bass pro so my selection is limited to one of the ones they carry. i've done some digging on here and see the summit is highly rated. not much talk about the gorilla or ol' man, mixed opinions about the api. i would've pulled the trigger on the summit viper but here's my issue.

where i hunt, there are several areas with thick brush, low limbs, etc that can tangle anything that sticks out from your body profile. the picture of the summit shows that when you carry it, the bottom sticks out a good ways from your body...potential hang ups...my current stand is a "hand me down" that weighs a ton, but fits flat against my body, so no real issues with it getting tangled. can anyone giive me real world experiences in these conditions with a summit or any of the other ones they might recommend? do any of the others rest flat against your back when hiking?

thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Gorilla (hang on) that lays pretty flat when i carry it on my back.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Summit Goliath and never had any issues with the bottom getting caught and i have walked through greenbriar, over logs, etc. The summit is by far the most comfortable stand I have ever used, I can easily sit 10 -12 hrs without a numb butt or stiff legs. I recommend you check them out.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

same as 4 evethrn above.SUMMIT.goliath/180 max/titan are 3 too look at.

i like 180 max as i like to sit facing the tree. goliath has smaller floor.titan /180 have big floor.

which would i get,180 MAX SS
Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Things stands have nothing to do about

Son, if you're out of shape and overweight, the design engineers didn't take you into account too well.

Many are built for the heavy weight user -up to 300 pounds.
And due to this many weigh more than 25 lbs, a not comfortable trek for the bad back and out of shape.

I use a tree stand from the early 90's. It's an heirloom. Comes with a weight limit of 250 pounds. A rarity in this modern environment.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine
Son, if you're out of shape and overweight, the design engineers didn't take you into account too well.

Many are built for the heavy weight user -up to 300 pounds.
And due to this many weigh more than 25 lbs, a not comfortable trek for the bad back and out of shape.

I use a tree stand from the early 90's. It's an heirloom. Comes with a weight limit of 250 pounds. A rarity in this modern environment.
yes, rating are like half what a stand can take.300 pd rating can go way above that and 350 can go way up .
Old 08-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Summit Viper SS and love it! Very lite and very easy to use. Not to mention it's very comfortable to sit in all day.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I have a Summit Viper SS and love it! Very lite and very easy to use. Not to mention it's very comfortable to sit in all day.

i tried the VIPER. i am only 6/1 210 but ole sproul likes room.the top of viper was just tight for me .the bar out front was not out front far enough.

so i tried the 180 MAX.that sucker has room on the top and rounded bar gives me lots of knee clearance out front .but floor is still size of viper.this year they went to TITAN floor.

that was good idea. i had to get foot rest for my 180 max as my size 11 boots were hanging on ends.
i found out in life i have to get everything 1 size bigger than i take forme to be comfortable and that includes my treestands.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Summit,,,, for comfort and stablity hands down... If you want a more packable stand look Summit Back Packer or one of the new packable models.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Spike

Ive been hunting out of a friends Ol'man multi-vision for the past while. The net seats are very comfortable and the stand is light.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.