Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Lock on vs. Climber

Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't prefer either one because they both have their uses. While I've only had 1-3 climbers at one time, I did once have 27 lock-on type stands in trees at the same time.

As for setting up lock-on stands that some people think is a noisy thing to do... Well, that depends on the person's ability. I can set one up with surprising stealth and speed. I once went with 2 buddies who were baiting a bear bait station. After we parked, I grabbed my Loc-On and stand hanging bag and went ahead of them. By the time they got to the station, I was already done hanging the stand up 19 feet and had limbs trimmed. Of course by this time I've had more practice than most do in 10 years. Being in shape helps too. Hanging stands doesn't have to noisey if you know what you are doing.

For climbers it's nice to pre-limb. I've gone in one day, about 1 1/2 hours earlier than normal just so I can climb the tree and limb silently being careful not to make loud cutting noises, stand noises or letting the limbs randomly smash to the ground. If you can do this weeks in advance, that's an advantage too.

Screw in steps are still my favorite way to ascend a tree to a lock-on stand, but if I have to, I have 3 sets of Rapid Rails, 2 North Starr foldable/stacking ladders and 3 API Climbing Quik Stiks to choose from.

Having a climber and a few hang-on type stands will cover you for most of your hunting needs. They each have their uses. Don't rule out one for the other. Give yourself all the tools to enjoy hunting!

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 06-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile The Best Choice Of Stands

Where you will hunt will help you decide what to do as well as how well you know the Deer in your hunting area and thier habits or patterns. We hung two stands and set up a blind on private property.The Blind was stolen and one of the tree stands also,both would have been if they could have found the second I'm sure of it. So this is a negative with stands and blinds you have to leave in place even on private land. So I reverted to my climber the rest of the season and when I did not feel like humping the load I picked out some good natural cover spots to hunt in my area. I ended up taking my Deer while tucked into two logs on the ground with good cover around them. I missed from my stand but both being on the ground at times and up in the tree can be productive. If you choose a climber be sure to wear as little clothing as possible when heading out to your spot because the extra gear will make you sweat more. Also practice geting the climber set in the dark and sound proof it as much as possible. And as has been said pick many places and prep them before the season starts to cut down on spooking and scenting you best spots. I would love to be able to hang stands with peace of mind that no one would steal them but it does happen. Good Hunting to you this season.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the neither camp myself. I've found a local place that sells ladder stands for $99 that are really comfortable. They aren't fun to put up, but once they are up it's easy.

For mobility, I use a cheap ameristep blind that I can setup in under 10 minutes.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Climber for me all the way.

I hunt public land that is heavy with very large pines and open woods. I gotta get high. There isn't a ladder or lock on that I know of that will get 30 feet up in a tree with out buying a bunch of sets of rapid rails or similar.

Another thing for me is security. I haven't found a ladder or lock on that I feel as safe in as I do in my Cougar Claw climber. I am 6'2" and go 275 and I can dance a jig in my Cougar Claw and feel perfectly safe.

I also don't have to worry about thieves with a climber.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

who said public land? are you hunting public land?

my short answer would be NEITHER! get a ladderstand...it's all I use anymore, period. Sold all my hang-ons, still have a climber just in case and because I spent $250 on it I think, I think I have it still just as a back up if I ever need it.

I'd rather put up a ladder over a hang-on or climber anytime too!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:09 AM
bigcountry

Goodness, you guys got to be kidding about ladder stands. I hate em. I own a bunch of em. They stick out like sore thumb, and I can't go as high as I like. I like to get 25ft with locks ons. but per usual, it depends.

Definatley hate the 15ft ladderstands. What I love about lock ons is the young uns and the older hunters in my clubs are scared to get 25ft. And scared of climbers. So it helps me to be more agile.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Goodness, you guys got to be kidding about ladder stands. I hate em. I own a bunch of em.
yeah, I bought a bunch of those 60$ ladders, from cabelas back in the day, those things were awful. try dragging one of those beasts up a ridge and setting it up by yourself.... not fun. I think if I owned my own ranch and could put up a hundred elevated blinds ,Id still use my trusty API climber, its almost like a part of me at this point.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Goodness, you guys got to be kidding about ladder stands. I hate em. I own a bunch of em. They stick out like sore thumb, and I can't go as high as I like. I like to get 25ft with locks ons. but per usual, it depends.

Definatley hate the 15ft ladderstands. What I love about lock ons is the young uns and the older hunters in my clubs are scared to get 25ft. And scared of climbers. So it helps me to be more agile.
All the game I've killed has been from no higher than 15 feet and I've killed a lot of game.

It takes me literally 10 seconds to get setup in a ladder stand. Oh... and the same amount coming down.

How long does it take to get 25 feet in a climber? How much noise do you make going up and coming down?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by robbcayman
All the game I've killed has been from no higher than 15 feet and I've killed a lot of game.

It takes me literally 10 seconds to get setup in a ladder stand. Oh... and the same amount coming down.

How long does it take to get 25 feet in a climber? How much noise do you make going up and coming down?

Yeah but when all the food has dried up on the ridge with that ladder stand it's a royal pain in the butt to move it. With a climber its no problem.

Chalk me up for the climber camp, although I do have one ladder stand and a few lock on stands. I just feel safer in a climber and much more comfortable, which lets me stay in the woods longer. A hunter who has practiced with and knows his climber can set it up and climb very quietly.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by robbcayman

You couldn't follow me where I hunt wtih a ladder stand. 2 miles into a swamp after sika deer.

Don't get me wrong. They work fine for the orange army and those who just want to ambush a few does. But for bowhunting, horrible.

Usually folks who use em are jsut scared of hieghts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.