Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Scouting: Tree Stand and Safety Harness >

Scouting: Tree Stand and Safety Harness

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scouting: Tree Stand and Safety Harness

Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scouting: Tree Stand and Safety Harness

I hope not to replace my old tree stand in the near future. But it forces me to scout from time to time. And I have a question.

Are there tree stand companies that sell just the tree stand and not a safety harness too?
Some buyers might already have a safety harness from last year and don't need the added cost of a second, new, safety harness. How many just automatically package the harness with every tree stand.

Any who don't?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Spike

next time you see a lawyer you can thanks him for that..... No treestand company would dare sell a stand without a harness the lawyer would have a field day with them. I think it is a waste of added cost. everyone should be responsible for themselves
Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

kole22 is correct in that everyone is responsible for their own actions. Wearing a safety harness is indeed a choice. I will say that I am never up a tree in any type of stand (ladder, lock-on, climber, whatever) with out mine on and using it properly. I have a brother that is crippled up because he did not wear his ... and a big time hunting buddy that will never walk again with pain free because he too did not. Both fell from a tree stand. My brother out of a ladder stand, only about 8'. My buddy fell out a climber after losing his balance while trying to cut a limb that was in his way ... about 14'. Had the harness on, but not around the tree.

My brother's T-3 was shattered. Just did not dislocate or cut into the spinal chord. But the spinal chord stretch trauma left him weaker from his shoulders down. That was more than 10 years ago and he has yet to recover to more than 50% of his former strength. My buddy suffered a double compound fracture of his left leg about 10" above his ankle and a total dislocation of his right ankle with ruptured ligaments !
Old 05-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

All new stands come with a harness, that is the industry standard. Now the quality of said harness would be more the issue. I use the Loggy Bayou Safety System, I find it more comfortable wearing all day when in or out of the tree. Much better fit and easier to get on and off than the cheesy web gear that comes with most.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default thanks for the info

Makes my old tree stand even more valuable to me. And it's been paid off for years.

Of course, safety surely has been sold. In my twenties I climbed huge oil storage tanks, every week, with no safety equipment. Back then it was attention to detail.

And nothing is absolutely safe. Know of two deaths from "hunting safety harnesses." But they do keep the lawyers and lawsuits at bay. I even heard they made harness for 400 lb. hunters. Unbelievable.

Thanks again.