Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Ground Blind vs Tree Climber

Old 04-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Spike

Default Ground Blind vs Tree Climber

I am not sure if I want a ground blind or a tree climber. I will be hunting flat land mostly pine plantation with hardwood here and there. I am not sure... I want to be able to take my 7 yr old son hunting with me on occasions so I think the ground blind would be better, but I don't know about hunting them in thick woods where I do not have a shooting lane or a field edge. What's everyones thoughts? I have a box stand that I can hunt with my son, but I want something mobile. What's everyones thought's about the hunting grounds that I will be hunting? Which would you choose?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Is a ladder stand not an option?

Ground blind:
1) Portable.
2) Can be made from local materials on the fly.
3) Less obstructions in coniferous terrain.
4) Provides some scent reduction by blocking wind and/or providing cover scent, especially if conifer limbs are used.
5) Can shed rain in the case of pop up blinds.
6) Reduces need for camo.
7) Obscures movement from game's view(critical with kids).
8) Doesn't require gymnastic skills from the kid.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say go with both.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Spike

http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/mjxph30...-Hunting-Blind

Note: Only Example..
I just picked this blind up from Dicks for $60 for my daughter and I..
literally few mins to set up and take down...

I'm thinking on still having a climbing stand on hand so I'll have options if she doesn't come out from time to time
Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Spike

i would go with the ground blind. there are obviously benefits to both, but as far as having your so go with you i would stick with the blind because it is a lot easier to set up and take down (more mobile), climbers require some strength and aren't the easiest to get up into a tree so if it were my option id go with the blind.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kevin1
Is a ladder stand not an option?

Ground blind:
1) Portable.
2) Can be made from local materials on the fly.
3) Less obstructions in coniferous terrain.
4) Provides some scent reduction by blocking wind and/or providing cover scent, especially if conifer limbs are used.
5) Can shed rain in the case of pop up blinds.
6) Reduces need for camo.
7) Obscures movement from game's view(critical with kids).
8) Doesn't require gymnastic skills from the kid.
X2,been in one now going on four years!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ground blind

I would really take a look at a 2-man ladder stand. I bought one from Wal Mart for $99 and works great. My one experience with a pop-up was not good. I set the blind 20 yds off and 90 deg off the trail. An 8 pointer walked in the open turned his head 90 deg and looked right at me. I think it is important to put natural camo on your pop-up blind. Any thing out of the ordinary seems to spook deer. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

For having your boy with you, I would say the blind is the better option.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a blind for when I take my kids with me. I leave it on one of my mini food plots on one of my leases. When I hunt alone, I usually use a climber, unless I'm hunting in north and south Texas, then I use a blind. Usually I hunt pine woods, like you.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Spike

Default Went with the Rhino XP-1

In ended up going with the Rhino Evolution XP-1. It was a little more expensive than a lot of the others but I believe you get what you pay for motto. It seems really durable and the material is nice and thick. I like the fact that it has magnets to open and close windows. It was really easy to set up and take down.
While sitting in the blind I can see the tiny hiles where the seams are. Does anyone know what to use to seal the seams? I guess I can just use a light touch of silicone or something simular but I want something that will be scent free. Will silicone be OK after it dries and cures?

Maybe I will get a climbing stand next year... The wife say's I have been spending too much money!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.