Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

best used 4-wheeler???

Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 AM
Spike

Default best used 4-wheeler???

I am looking to buy a used 4-wheeler, after this years hunting season. I am thinking a 300-400. I would prefer 4 wheel drive, but will buy a 2 if the price is right. I am thinking around 2 grand to spend. In yalls opinion what is the most bullet proof 4 wheeler that fits these criteria that is say 8-12 years old??
Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

jmho,But the Hondas are tough as nails.I have a 1997 TRX 300 4x4 that has seen it all and is still going strong.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Swampdog
jmho,But the Hondas are tough as nails.I have a 1997 TRX 300 4x4 that has seen it all and is still going strong.

Second on the Honda plug , had them since the mid 1970's from atc 90's on up to the 350x race bike , then a 300 trx 4x4 .
Keep clean oil in them and they wont die, take that to the bank!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Spike

That is a very hard question to answer. It is so dependent on how well it was taken care of prior to you. I have a 92 Kawasaki Bayou 300 and the previous owner beat the S%$t out of it. It is still a great little machine but ever 6 months or so something might go bad. Anything you buy in that price range will either be very old or have very high miles/hours on it. That being said I feel any 4x4 300-400 ATV with a good record of maintenance will serve you well. Get nothing that has a snorkle or looks hot rodded up because they have probably abused it and won't tell you. Just be prepared for things to possibly start going out on it. I recommend a shaft drive and standard shift if it is your first ATV because I feel they will hold up better to abuse. However, the Honda auto is probably one of the best made in the age bracket you mentioned (I think they started making them in 2001). Also, don't be sukered into one of the racing type.

Good luck and enjoy it
Attached Thumbnails best used 4-wheeler???-can-worms.jpg  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

I just bought a 2000 honda foreman 4x4, I love it it will climb a tree. I had been looking for one for over a year and got a steal on it for $1500. Best money ever spent. Craigslist seems to be a good place to look for one though.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

I just started asking a few of the guys from the fire station today bout the same topic... The first thing they said was look it over with a fine tooth comb... Check the grease fittings... Are they dry? Do the bearings/ball joints squeek? Look at how much tread is left on the wheels... If there is alot of tread left good deal but what will new sneakers cost you if the tread is almost gone? take it for a ride this allows you to listen to the engine, see how it handles, how it shifts... What is its physical appearance like... Is the plastio in good order uncracked/broken, Is the wheeler covered in mud/dirt, do they have any maintenance records? what are the hours like, adult or child ridden.... children may tend to beat the wheeler a tad bit more than an adult... Not to say that adults do not beat on wheelers...
I hope this helps you out...
Old 02-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

As said, check it over with a fine tooth comb. Having said that, I'll cast a vote for Honda-a 300, a Rancher, or a Foreman sounds like the machine you want. I have a Foreman 450 that is 6 years old, has about 550 miles on it, I have replaced the battery and nothing else.

Will
Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki most are pretty good if they havn't been worn out. Try to get something that has not had much use on it. Most people abuse them. Thats why I stopped repairing them they were always beat to death and a dirty mess. Go for a 350 or 400 in 4 wheel drive, you will be happier when you are dragging a deer and it gets real hilly in the woods.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Honda 4 trax (TRX or foreman) 5 speed manual (foot shift). The Yamaha Big Bear 5 speed manual (foot) would be a secondary option. I've owned both.

If it has tires, tracks or t!ts it'll cost you but the hondaTRX/foreman manual are as close to bulletproof as one can find in atvs.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honda. I have a 1995 300 TRX (I think) that I have only spent a couple of hundred dollars for one repair on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.