Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Disposable hand warmers - any scent? >

Disposable hand warmers - any scent?

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Disposable hand warmers - any scent?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default Disposable hand warmers - any scent?

I was wondering if anyone uses those disposable hand warmers that activate when you open the sealed plastic bag and rub the 'charcoal' together.

I know they work Ok, and I can't smell anything coming from them, but wondered if they put out any scent that a deer, or hog could pick up.

By the way, a friend had battery operated warmers for hands and feet, but quit using them after discovering that they emitted a very high pitch that he had to listen very hard to hear.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 01-01-2010, 10:50 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use them - I can not smell anything coming off from them when activated. Have used them for yrs while rifle hunting. Have one in my left hand glove and one in my right hand warmer pocket as I usually don;t have a glove on that hand.

Little trick taught to me.
NOTE: FOR SITTING USE ONLY! ( Walk much doing this and your feet are way to hot!

I take the same hand warmer on cold days and activate it. I tape on the siade edges - either side of the hand warmer packet to the top of my toes over my 1st pair of socks. I then put on my second sock and my Sorel Boot on. It will last better than 8 hrs.
But is not for salkers - you will burn up!

I buy in Case lots from Sam's Club and keep them in my truck 24/7.

Far cheaper that way.

JW
Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Spike

Well, just got back from the store, and picked up a few of the hand warmers. They also had the same thing in stick-on 'toe warmers', so I'll see how they do. Maybe I'd better wait until I get to the stand before putting them in my boots. By the way, the package does say oderless.

First hog or buck that passes by without smelling me tomorrow....
Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I swear by them! I have never noticed any smell coming from them.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont think they have enough odor to bother the deer...your scent will smell more than the warmers
Old 01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the GRABBER 24hr hand warmers which are odorless. They do work, but they work the best when kept in an inclosed location. Like your pockets or in a muff. I rely on them when it's very cold!

Last edited by early in; 01-01-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

All things being equal, I've got to believe that feet/hands warmed by a warmer give off more scent than those without.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by crokit
All things being equal, I've got to believe that feet/hands warmed by a warmer give off more scent than those without.
What, so you'd rather freeze?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say that they don't give off scent but I have used them for several years and I haven't noticed deer winding me any more than they use to.

I use hand warmers, toe warmers, and body warmers and I'm a lot more comfortable now.

One trick I learned is that my upper legs get cold after sitting on stand for several hours. I started putting an adhesive toe warmer on my base layer (outside) right above my knees. It helps when you are sitting in a climber and at the end of the day you want to be able to stand up.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

As far as scent goes I haven’t noticed any deer or elk being bothered by my using them.

I found an excellent way to wear the hand warmers is to safety pin one over each kidney on the out side of my under layer (t-shirt). All your blood has to go thru your kidneys and it is an efficient way to circulate the warmth. I have been toasty warm while elk hunting in the coldest weather in MT and pass this on to all my friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.