Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Which setup is most versatile and waterproof and warm and windproof and breathable... >

Which setup is most versatile and waterproof and warm and windproof and breathable...

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which setup is most versatile and waterproof and warm and windproof and breathable...

Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
One more time...............................????

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0005232
Which of those would you recommend?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Spike

I very much like the fabric with silver fibers built in: it really works at avoiding the smell that results from bacteria by retarding the growth of the bacteria. Compare this to synthetic fabrics without silver fibers that smell horrible in a short time or cotton that does not begin to smell as quickly as synthetic fibers but feels cold and clammy as soon as it gets wet and the silver fiber fabric is well worth the money in my opinion.

Regarding the carbon technology: plenty of hunters will provide anecdotal evidence that it works, but the science says that it does not: an ordinary clothes dryer does not get hot enough to remove the accumulated odor chemicals from the carbon lining. I think it is a gimmick that has parted many hunters from their money without any significant effectiveness, but plenty of hunters say otherwise.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

MT050 does sound like the best option. I bought my whitetail extreme jacket and pants in 1998, they look like new and are as warm as ever. Go with the uninsulated version in a size larger than you need, and wear whatever you want under it depending on the weather.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BowHntrRick
I very much like the fabric with silver fibers built in: it really works at avoiding the smell that results from bacteria by retarding the growth of the bacteria. Compare this to synthetic fabrics without silver fibers that smell horrible in a short time or cotton that does not begin to smell as quickly as synthetic fibers but feels cold and clammy as soon as it gets wet and the silver fiber fabric is well worth the money in my opinion.

Regarding the carbon technology: plenty of hunters will provide anecdotal evidence that it works, but the science says that it does not: an ordinary clothes dryer does not get hot enough to remove the accumulated odor chemicals from the carbon lining. I think it is a gimmick that has parted many hunters from their money without any significant effectiveness, but plenty of hunters say otherwise.
What are some good products that use silver fibers?

Where does antimicrobial fall into all of this?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Spike

Hardcore Outdoors (internet search) does a lot of gear reviews. He has indicated as well as many other forums I have checked that the MTO50 is great stuff. He loves Sitka but WOW what a price. Breathable is the big deal. Stay away from the Cabela's Dry plus. I could not afford the MTO50 (Quite Pack) right now so I am waiting on UPS to deliver a Gander Mountain Tech20 insulated Jacket. I will layer it over a Polartec 300 fleece jacket. Cabela's has the Quite Pack for $59.99 in reg if you are 2XL or L, XL, 2XL if you are tall in certain patterns. My luck was they didn't have what would work for me since I was too slow in making a decision.

Good luck with your search

Just another opinion.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

eric,

antimicrobial and silver stuff is the same..it is fabric woven into the clothes that works in stopping the replication of bacteria on you and your clothes. (bacteria causes us to smell).

if you are going to be sitting..the buy any layering system...base layers, shirts, long sleeve, sweetshirts, then a jacket..and you should be fine...anything with redhead or cabelas on it will work just great

if you are not going to be sitting...the breathable layering systems work the best, only down side is that here you will need to spend a lot more to get quality material in order to stay comfortable.