Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Which setup is most versatile and waterproof and warm and windproof and breathable... >

Which setup is most versatile and waterproof and warm and windproof and breathable...

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which setup is most versatile and waterproof and warm and windproof and breathable...

Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Spike

Default Which setup is most versatile and waterproof and warm and windproof and breathable...

Okay, so this may be crazy, but.... is there any camo clothing setup out there that:

- is warm
- is waterproof
- is windproof
- is breathable
- is quiet

Basically, which brand has the most versatile technology out there? I want something that can do it all, basically.

I saw the Rivers West firehose test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz9qRZxfG1U

and that's pretty sweet.

Just looking for some advice.

I want one suit that can do it all so I don't have to have 2 suits.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Good question.

From my own personal experience, you probably have to own two suits. One for milder climates and one for extreme cold. One thing I learned over the years, is that Gore-Tex and Thinsulate work very well together for colder, windy, conditions. (A hood is a God send as well!!)

I picked up a Rivers West hooded jacket this past season and while obvious it's waterproof, it isn't insulated. I wear this jacket with layers for bowhunting. Can't stand being "bulked up" while trying to draw your bow!!

Cabela's whitetail extreme clothing line works well for extreme cold conditions. They aren't cheap, but when your outside in cold conditions, you can't skimp on cheap stuff!!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by maytom
Good question.

From my own personal experience, you probably have to own two suits. One for milder climates and one for extreme cold. One thing I learned over the years, is that Gore-Tex and Thinsulate work very well together for colder, windy, conditions. (A hood is a God send as well!!)

I picked up a Rivers West hooded jacket this past season and while obvious it's waterproof, it isn't insulated. I wear this jacket with layers for bowhunting. Can't stand being "bulked up" while trying to draw your bow!!

Cabela's whitetail extreme clothing line works well for extreme cold conditions. They aren't cheap, but when your outside in cold conditions, you can't skimp on cheap stuff!!
I agree about not being able to skimp on cheap stuff.

When I said I wanted only one suit, I also meant to say that it would always be used in colder conditions. I live in Iowa, and it's pretty chilly. For the early season, I'd probably just get some cheaper stuff.

I've heard good things about both Rivers West and Cabela's, but River's West is over 150 for jacket and pant apiece.

Is it breathable?

Trying to stay under $150 for each item, which would you recommend for a winter suit?

Thank you
Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

eric

ya wanna dress in layers anyways. you don't wanna be sweating in the freezing cold. could be freezing , then it could warm up again and vice versa

..i would say get something extremly warm, then a not so warm get-up...then rain gear to go over your thickest set.

12" zipper/and laces water proof..not resistant..water proof boots...good socks that will wick out with the high boots.the taller boots are easier on your feet when you walk cause your calf takes some of the weight.

a good backpack..if your buyin new get the "quiet" gear.get one that has a rifle attachment.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
eric

ya wanna dress in layers anyways. you don't wanna be sweating in the freezing cold. could be freezing , then it could warm up again and vice versa

..i would say get something extremly warm, then a not so warm get-up...then rain gear to go over your thickest set.

12" zipper/and laces water proof..not resistant..water proof boots...good socks that will wick out with the high boots.the taller boots are easier on your feet when you walk cause your calf takes some of the weight.

a good backpack..if your buyin new get the "quiet" gear.get one that has a rifle attachment.
That all makes sense..... do you have any favorite pieces?

What do you recommend for a backpack?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Spike

I have been using a set of insulated coveralls for the last two seasons and like them very much. I purchased an inexpensive version from Dick's for about $90 and they have worked well (wind- and water-proof, quiet), but I will likely get better one's from Cabela's (perhaps Revolution Fleece: I have an uninsulated pull-over that I like very much) eventually.

My coveralls also include a hood: while it is very warm, it also greatly restricts my vision and hearing, so I rarely use it. I just purchased a ball cap from Cabelas that has gore-tex, thinsulate insulation, and fold down ear flaps in case my ears get cold (although this will also restrict my hearing) that I am looking forward to using. I like to have a hat with a bill so that I can clip on a small LED flashlight when finding my way to or from my stand in the dark and to provide some relief from occasional bright, sunny days.

I also like to have a ski cap that is reversable (camo on one side, blaze on the other) that I can pull down over my ball cap. Many times throughout the season a blaze hat is required and other times it is just a good idea: the reversible ski cap can provide the blaze orange hat when necessary or simply be pulled down over the cap for extra insulation and ear coverage that does not interfere with my hearing.

By varying the clothes that I wear under the coveralls ( t shirt and shorts or very light pants to shirt/fleece turtle-neck/fleece sweatshirt and insulated pants) as well as substituting a standard ball cap for the insulated version in warmer weather I can use the coveralls comfortably from 50 degrees down to 20 degrees (10 degrees if there is not too much wind). This accounts for about 3/4 of the season here in western PA.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here you go;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0005232

Put whatever you want/need under it !

Only way to fly IMO..................
Old 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do you need something breathable if you are only hunting in Iowa? Do you do a lot of hiking around?

IMO the overall best thing for you to do is a layering system. This will give you everything you want and I don't think there is any other way to get everything you want and have it very comfortable.

The best stuff I have found for cold weather is Under Armour's Cold Gear products (layering). The best in wind/water is Sitka (and it is somewhat breathable). Gortex products are NOT breatheable, and ALL true 100% waterproof products do not and will not breathe.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JNTURK
Why do you need something breathable if you are only hunting in Iowa? Do you do a lot of hiking around?

IMO the overall best thing for you to do is a layering system. This will give you everything you want and I don't think there is any other way to get everything you want and have it very comfortable.

The best stuff I have found for cold weather is Under Armour's Cold Gear products (layering). The best in wind/water is Sitka (and it is somewhat breathable). Gortex products are NOT breatheable, and ALL true 100% waterproof products do not and will not breathe.
I wandered around Bass Pro for awhile today, and realized you're exactly right.

When I need something breathable, I'm probably not gonna be cold or wet.

I agree that Under Armor is probably the best cold gear base layer, but what about the Red Head stuff that blocks the scent with its antimicrobial technology? Is that worth it? It's still cheaper than Under Armor.

I figure something wool or fleece would be best for cold - any favorites?

What do you recommend for a thin outer waterproof layer, that I could just carry along with me?

And, I'm sure this question has been beat to death...

But is the scent blocking technology worth the money, or is washing the stuff and your body in special soap enough?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by eric_b
I wandered around Bass Pro for awhile today, and realized you're exactly right.

When I need something breathable, I'm probably not gonna be cold or wet.

I agree that Under Armor is probably the best cold gear base layer, but what about the Red Head stuff that blocks the scent with its antimicrobial technology? Is that worth it? It's still cheaper than Under Armor.

I figure something wool or fleece would be best for cold - any favorites?

What do you recommend for a thin outer waterproof layer, that I could just carry along with me?

And, I'm sure this question has been beat to death...

But is the scent blocking technology worth the money, or is washing the stuff and your body in special soap enough?

One more time...............................????

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0005232

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.